Yay eggs ... then no eggs

IamRainey

Crowing
Aug 22, 2017
Los Angeles (Woodland Hills); gardening zone 9B
I'm still relatively new to this. I've had chickens about 16 months.

Last year at this time I had 3 hens who were laying. They kept my husband in more than enough eggs and we were able to share them as well.

This year, last week, I finally had 3 hens laying again after the short Winter days were abating and the newest hens were maturing. I was all ready to stop buying eggs. Then rain started on Monday and it's rained and been gloomy all day every day since. I think I've had 4 eggs this week. Even my Cream Legbar who laid all Winter through has only managed 1 so far this week.

Can weather cycles effect hens' laying in the same way as short days? Do they eventually get some hormonal imperative to lay?

I've got 6 hens who are old enough to be laying (18mo and 7mo) and I'm just not getting enough eggs to get by. I know it will change. I know I need to be patient. But it's making me certifiably NUTZ!!!! And we've got another week of rain reported to be coming next week.

They were losing a minimal but noticeable amount of feathers several months ago but I haven't seen any bald spots on either of them.

BTW one is laying -- though as I noted not even at the rate she laid through the dark days -- the other stopped laying altogether a couple months ago and hasn't resumed. He comb got really wasted looking but its just beginning to show a little color and filling out some. Not to the point where I'm expecting eggs from her anytime soon though.

The decrease a couple of months ago seems typical for the shorter daylight hours. I was in a similar situation.

Yes being patient is the hardest part! I don't think the rainy weather would have a huge impact. If that were the case I think those in the Pacific Northwest would defiantly notice!

If you're just wanting to keep up on each hen you can do a basic body check. Measuring the finger widths on them and keeping track. This in combination with with comb and wattle color can help see who is close and who might need a closer eye kept on them.

Good luck!

Last year at this time I had 3 hens who were laying.
You had 3 pullets that were laying.***
Pullets are much more likely to lay during the 'dark days' than hens are.

Pullets and hens can lay sporadically most the year...
....except spring, usually high production time.
Breed and diet play more of role than weather or even length of day.

If you count on having eggs all year long, get high production breeds(adding new pullets every year) and use supplemental lighting.

***FYI.....semantics, maybe, but can be important communication terms when discussing chicken behavior.
Female chickens are called pullets until one year of age, then they are called hens.
Male chickens are called cockerels until one year of age, then they are called cocks(or cockbirds or roosters).
Age in weeks or months is always a good thing to note.

Back
Top Bottom