Yay! Finally hatching some eggs!(in a way...) *UPDATE!*

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by 77horses, Mar 2, 2009.

1. 77horses

77horses ◊The Spontaneous Pullet!◊

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Yay! We are hatching some eggs! But not in a way that you would think... [​IMG] [​IMG]

No, WE aren't hatching the eggs....and no, they aren't even chicken eggs! But...one of our Parakeets(my brothers') named Carla, has laid 3 eggs and she is sitting on them! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] We are very excited because we have never seen baby Parakeets in real life! One of the eggs, though, has a dent in it...so we don't think it will hatch. [​IMG] But she might lay a couple more! [​IMG] The father's name is Stormy, and he's blue, gray, with a little black/white. Carla is mostly yellow, with green and some white. So it will be interesting to see what the babies look like! [​IMG] [​IMG]

The eggs are expected to hatch in the upcoming weeks(2nd week of March or longer...)

Hoping that they all(or at least most) hatch out to be beautiful little babies! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I will be sure to post pics when they hatch! [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  2. My chicken is cuter

My chicken is cuter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Houston, TX
    That's cool![​IMG]

3. IcedMochaChick

IcedMochaChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2008
    Nebraska
    Wonderful! I bet they'll be cute [​IMG]

4. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Also, if anyone has some excellent/good websites on parakeet breeding or egg-laying, please feel free to tell me! I know pretty much most of the basics, but I'm trying to learn everything to know about breeding parakeets/egg laying, so if there are any problems, we will know what to do. [​IMG]
    This is exciting! Can't wait to post pics when they hatch! I hope I'm at my dad's house when they do hatch! [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    And if anyone has had ANY experience with breeding parakeets, please give me any good advice that you have! [​IMG] Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  6. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    UPDATE:

Carla the Parakeet has laid 2 more eggs! That means she now has 5 eggs! Yay! And she's still sitting on them. [​IMG] I wonder if she will lay any more...

7. Bock_Bock

Bock_Bock Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 13, 2008
    Hayward, Ca
    any pics any pics?

8. chickenlove2009

chickenlove2009 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2009
    Woodlawn, Tn
    Quote:I had cockatiels and doves. my females hatched three eggs. I let her do her own thing and made sure she had food and water.

I have also hatched kill-deer eggs three and all three hatched ( I put them in the incubator with my chicken eggs.) they didn't know what they were (the chicks and the kill-deer [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 5, 2009
  9. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Does anyone think that the egg with a dent in it will hatch? I doubt it, since bacteria might have gotten in. But it's not really an opening; it's like an indent on the shell.... [​IMG]
    I will be seeing the eggs this weekend and I will update everyone on Monday/Tuesday when I get back!

Have a nice weekend everyone! [​IMG]

10. 77horses

Aug 19, 2008
    [CONFIDENTIAL]
    Quote:I have some pretty good ones on my phone, but i can't upload them. I didn't have my camera at the time when she laid them, so I will get some this weekend hopefully. [​IMG]
    I need new batteries for my camera, too.... [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by