Yay!!!! First Egg Just A Few Minutes Ago

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by maxxsmommy, Oct 7, 2011.

1. maxxsmommy

maxxsmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    18 week old Production Red Hen named Rose just laid and egg! well what seems to be an egg... It has no shell, just a thick membrane and yolk... She has been acting so weird today, like she was sick so it scared me but come to find out it was just her making and egg!!!!!! Now with that being said is she gonna start laying normal eggs? With shells? I cant believe it. I am so happy!!!!!!!!!!

2. dantodd

dantodd Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2011
    San Carlos, CA
    Congrats, if you are giving her a good laying feed and oyster shells she should get the hang of it pretty quickly. Expect an egg from a production red every day, she may miss one out of 8 days or so.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011
  3. goldies99

goldies99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2011
    congrats!!!!.....yes i think you will get normal eggs.....i got 2 eggs like that....
    one had a half shell half soft....kind of yucky!!...but i bet your next egg will be great!!!

4. Cattitude

Cattitude Chillin' With My Peeps

Woot! [​IMG]

First egg is always a thrill! Even now, the first egg from a pullet makes me egg-cited!

(Had to put that pun in there. [​IMG] )

5. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    [​IMG]
    Thank you guys, i have not been this excited or EGG-cited for a long long time now!

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Congratulations!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

7. Jcmc

Jcmc New Egg

Sep 21, 2011
    Awesome news! I'm still waiting for my red stars to lay their first. Can I ask, are the comb and wattles bright red? I have two out of five that are red but not bright red. Good luck with the egg production!

8. cravenchx

cravenchx Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2011
    Piedmont of NC
    Quote:What is a "production red"?

9. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    Quote:Yes for over a month now their combs and wattles have turned bright red. and grew alot!

10. maxxsmommy

Aug 24, 2011
    Minnesota
    Quote:What is a "production red"?

A prodocuction Red is a cross of a Rhode Island Red, New Hamshire Red & a Leghorn. However, some sites say it's just a cross between the RIR and the NHR. look them up online [​IMG] this pic is of her about 2 months ago... sorry i dont have a recent picture of her
    [​IMG]
    dont mind the date and time on this, my camera batteries were dead so i changed them and it went back to default settings. [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 7, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by