yay, first egg!!! *pics* - questions!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by birdbrain5, Aug 12, 2010.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    Yesterday while rearanging my coop and putting in a nest box and a perch, i discovered 2 eggs in the hay! one rolled off the shelf and broke, and then i noticed the other! i dont know how long they had been there, so i decided to toss it. I put two egg-shaped rocks in the nest box, and earlier today i heard the "egg song", i knew right away because i recognized it from our chickens when i was a kid. i went out hoping to see her in the act in the box, but she was on the perch. but then i went out just now and found an egg in the box! GOOD GIRL!! [​IMG] ..im pretty positive it is my cochin hen, because i think my RIR is still too young.
    i took this picture of the egg next to a large store bought egg. do cochins always lay white eggs? she is black. dont know if that makes the egg color vary? also- she is a cochin bantam so i was told, is this the size her eggs will always be because she is bantam, or is it because she is young and shes just started laying? Do the smaller bantam eggs taste any different?
    Thanks!

[​IMG]

2. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    bump

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by