YAY!!! FIRST EGG

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by TurtlePowerTrav, Sep 13, 2012.

1. TurtlePowerTrav

TurtlePowerTrav T.K.'s Farm

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    One of my 6 girls laid her first egg this morning around 10am. I got up to let them out of the coop since it is hot here today, and found Betty Lu in a nest box. I thought she might just be hiding from my cockerel, so I shooed her out of it to go run with the rest of them. She immediately turned around and went back into it. So I left for a minute. I saw her outside doing the "egg song" and went back out to look in the nest box and found a small egg next to the fake egg. I was soo happy. I was starting to think I got defective girls. She is one of my BO's and almost 20 weeks old. Now to see how long before my next one starts. YAY
    [​IMG]
    The egg on the right is her's, golf ball in middle and on the left is neighbor's 2yr old chickens egg from last week(we were chicken sitting).

2. Y N dottes

Y N dottes Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    hey thats great.....20 weeks sounds normal enough. Im sure they will all be laying well real soon...

3. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    My BR's are the same age and my Production RIR's are almost 18 weeks. It is so fun to watch them grow.

4. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Today I got another first egg from "Blakie", one of my BR's. I opened the coop, she was in a box, she jumped out and took a quick lap around the shed and came back into the box and about 15 minutes later, first egg. Yay. I have two layers, four to go.

5. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I have 3 BRs and i think they're great. theyre 23 weeks right now and each has laid 6-7 eggs/week the last two weeks. Im sure yours will do the same

Last edited: Sep 15, 2012
  6. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    I found an egg under the perch this morning when I let them out. So I don't know if I had a second egg or another first egg. Been there for an hour at least, it was cold.

7. Y N dottes

Sep 1, 2012
    South Central WI
    I once found an egg under one of the perches when I went to let them out in the morning....it kind of suprised me and im not sure if it was laid there or kicked there, but its never happened again.

8. TurtlePowerTrav

Jul 29, 2012
    Oregon City, OR
    My Coop
    Ok, so I guess I have 3 laying because the egg I got Sunday morning was much bigger than the first three eggs laid. I assume it was a second egg. Then Sunday night on my way out to lock up coop, my BR who was second to lay was walking down the ramp from the boxes so I peeked in and sure enough she laid her second egg. But it was a soft shelled one so I didn't keep it. Cooked it and fed to the dog. Curious if I get one today as a second or a new first egg.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by