YAY! First eggs from my GLW!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by brimjohnson, Jan 12, 2013.

1. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    My GLW Scarlett layed her first egg Wednesday morning[​IMG]. I went out to see the ladies (they free range) and noticed she wasnt out and about with the flock so I started panicking that something bad happened to her, but then I opened the coop door and saw her sitting in one of our four nest boxes... I was really happy but didnt want to get my hopes up... I gave her some time and went back out to check later and she was out with the other girls so I looked in the nest box and sure enough there was a little brown egg. It was pretty little compared to our EE's eggs but I'm thinking maybe theyll get bigger as she starts to lay more. My husband said she laid another today :) I compared the egg to wednesdays and sure enough it is a tiny bit bigger. I was really shocked that she started laying in the winter. It has only been in the 20's and 30's and only 9 hours of daylight (they dont have lights in the coop) here lately so I figured she wouldn't lay until spring. We have 7 hens and now 2 are layers... still waiting on the other 5 but any eggs make me happy!!!

2. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    Congrats!! I can't wait til I get eggs... But first I have to get my chicks. Waiting is sooooo hard :(

3. brimjohnson

brimjohnson Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Puyallup, WA
    Congrats tho NotableNancy. Do you have any hens yet or are you waiting to start your flock? I just started this hen adventure a few months ago... late summer and it is one of the coolest things I've done. I love it, and this website is great for info!!!

4. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    Congrats!!!

5. NotableNancy

NotableNancy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2012
    Pennsylvania

I have an order in to Meyer for 15 assorted chicks, hopefully no boys. We're in the burbs on an acre and I didn't think the neighbors want to hear crowing. Getteng EE's, BO, golden campine, columbian wyandotte, jersey giant, brown leghorn, white rock, barred rock
    My hubby is building the run now so we'll be all ready for an entertaining spring.
    I started "chicken sitting" in the summer for a neighbor when they go away and I was completely taken by their hens Luckily my hubs is an animal person too. I'm really looking forward to it and I have learned so much from this site. I have a notebook full of info!
    I love that name 'Scarlet' for a hen!! Did you get them as chicks in the summer and they're laying already?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by