1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yay for a Broodie Silkie!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CocoNUT, Dec 29, 2009.

1. CocoNUT

CocoNUT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Just had to share:

My 8 month old silkie hen who went broody in mid-November has hatched TWO eggs (out of two!)!!! Both babies are peeping and chirping away under momma bird! I'm SOOO proud of her! This is her first hatch! (Now another one of my silkies have gone broody...time to track down more hatching eggs!)

Silkies are the BEST!!!!

2. Karin J.

Karin J. Out Of The Brooder

Oct 4, 2009
    Would love to see pictures!

3. newduckie

newduckie Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2009
    Missouri Ozarks
    most of the eggs in my bator are silkies right now. Hopefully I will have some broody's in six to eight months..I cant wait.

4. CocoNUT

CocoNUT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    I would LOVE to post some photos. First, have to get home from work (all I have been able to think about since I confirmed the second chick hatched this morning is about those cute little fuzzy butts!) Second...take photos! Then upload the photos and POST them!!!

Apparently they are black rosecomb chicks! They're soooo tiny!!! My little mama has been sooo sweet. She's tried to make a 'show' of pecking in my direction the first few times I 'checked' on HER eggs. But she now realizes I'm leaving her alone and petting her, giving her LOTS of praise and extra 'treats'!!! I LOVE her little coooing noises too! Aaaaah....to be a little fuzzy butt! Now...if I could just get over my 'fear' of hurting the little chicks and start playing with them!!!!

I will post photos soon!

I have 5 silkie pullets...momma went broodie first, then took another with her. At first momma was sharing an egg with her partner in broodiness...then got selfish so the other broodie broke. Now ANOTHER one of my silkies has decided to go broodie (I guess she heard the eggs pipping and got 'the urge')! They really are the sweetest, fluffiest little buggers! (Meanwhile, my LF girls outside wouldn't DREAM of wasting all that time sitting around!!!)

Good luck with your hatch, little silkies are SOOOO cute!!! The funny thing is...my momma bird HATED being handled as a chick AND prior to being broody! I think it was her mere determination to get those eggs to hatch that allowed her to put up with me petting her as much as I've been able to lately! Ironic isn't it? So don't lose hope if any of them aren't too cuddly...it doesn't determine their broody-dedication-ness!!! (you like my new word?!?!)
    But cuddling them is a GIVEN!

Now...if I could only get a showgirl!!! (or Turken).

5. PandoraTaylor

PandoraTaylor RT Poultry n Things

Jun 29, 2009
    Alaska
    [​IMG]

Congratulations!

6. Farmer Benjii

Farmer Benjii Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    Vic, AUS
    photos photos photos!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by