Yay for chickens!

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by aleia, Feb 21, 2013.

1. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    Hello all you chicken lovers! I will be starting my own flock in about two weeks. I just brought home a used coop, and have my brooder ready. I am having a hard time deciding on what breeds to get and whether to free range or run them. My favorite breeds (just from internet research) are Sussex and Swedish Flower Hens, but the local feed store can't get them (of course). We live in the mountains where it gets quite cold in the winter and quite hot in the summer, so I need a couple of hardy breeds. Personality is important too, as I have small children and we are excited about playing with the chickens - but I also want them to be smart and a little bit spunky, as there is the possibility of predators. And, of course, we are looking forward to eggs! Okay, I guess that is enough for now. Happy to be part of the community!

2. chickarapter

chickarapter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    Missouri
    hello,and [​IMG] from MO, brahmas are a very hardy breed too and they come in 3 colors

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  3. sueblack

sueblack Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2012
    Saegertown, PA
    Welcome. You will find this site has great information. Just enter a topic on the search line. I like the following threads: Growing Fodder for Chickens, Fermenting Feed for Meat Birds (I do this for my layers), Questions about Raising Meal Worms, and the Black Copper Marans Discussion Thread.

4. sueblack

Nov 2, 2012
    Saegertown, PA
    Oh, and since it gets real cold where you are, I'd look for a breed with a rose comb or other small comb. My single comb roosters get their combs frozen every winter, poor things.

5. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    Thanks! Are they sweet, and good layers?

6. aleia

aleia Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2013
    bass lake, CA
    Good tips, thanks!

7. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Welcome to BYC.

8. sueblack

Nov 2, 2012
    Saegertown, PA
    The Black Copper Marans are decent layers. They are the newest addition to my flock (last summer). The other breeds I have are Golden Laced Wyandottes (have rose comb), Black Australorps, Ancona (mine are high strung), and Cochins. They are all excellent layers except the Cochins. Also, the Wyandottes are a heavy breed, so they are a good dual purpose bird. If you want to get rid of roosters, they work great in the freezer.

9. thasista

thasista Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 25, 2011
    KY
    My Coop
    Hi from KY [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan :D

Google the Henderson Chicken Chart for a good breed resource, temperature tolerance is one of the things they rate.

I have found my speckled Sussex to be friendly, nosy, decent layers, and cold-hardy.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by