Yay for Hubby, Yay for Me!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Sep 12, 2008.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]Okay—so originally, my hubby was against me building any more coops. He kept telling me that I’d “just have to get rid of all but maybe three or four breeds!” *GASP* Then, I showed him my PayPal receipts & my new website. He then decided that what I was doing was a good, relatively harmless hobby and it made me happy (I’ve been majorly depressed for the past couple of years). So I’ve been researching coops like crazy! I’ve now settled on some small ones that will house 3-4 chickens, each. I priced things out & with some of the leftovers from our barn/house/round pen projects, it shouldn’t cost me more than about $150 for the first coop and maybe I could even get two coops out of my scraps! So I made up blueprints & strategically placed them where he would find them (i.e. bathroom floor). LOL

Two days went by & nothing! And then, last night he (all of the sudden, out of the blue), said that I should have the woodshop kids built me one (he works at the high school & we’ve had them do a tack shed, a deluxe dog house & a housing for our fence charger & all of them turned out pretty good! He thought I would be able to do my designs for about $300 with labor, included. Not too bad, but I thought about it (when I couldn’t sleep last night) and I was really hoping I’d be able to get about SIX of these coops…maybe not all at once, but maybe two or three next spring/summer.

So I e-mailed him at lunch & asked if he’d had a chance to look at my plans & told him that I would be saving up my soap/artwork/blanket/egg money to help fund these coops. Oh and I sold a horse, so some of that will go towards the coops.

This is his response:

You pay for it…you build it. I will teach you how to build and use power tools. I would help you. But you will be doing most of it. Then, you can appreciate the time/effort/resources that it takes to build stuff--and pick up so more skills. It would be really good for you…then you would be better at making repairs with tools…and building things. I would definitely work with you though…I don’t want you to ruin or leave out my tools.

My response:

Better be careful at what you teach me. I will soon have a world-domination-sized poultry village!

And unfortunately, he has not responded! I should probably wait until I get maybe one or two of them built before I tell him my “real plans?”

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 12, 2008
  2. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    yay! good going! and you'll have some serious carpentry skills under your belt! rock on.

3. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Heck no! Take over the whole ranch, baby! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Congrats!

I still think your subtitle should be Mini-cooper [​IMG]

4. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:HA! I know! Maybe I can get a pink tool belt for my birthday?! [​IMG]

5. dangerouschicken

dangerouschicken Will Barter For Coffee

May 6, 2007
    Columbia Gorge, OR
    Pink with rhinestones and studs. Rodeo queen style! [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:Ohhh...that's a good one! [​IMG]

7. hensdeliverthegoods

hensdeliverthegoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 18, 2007
    Catawba County, NC
    Pretty cool husband you've got there. [​IMG]

8. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:[​IMG] ohhh do they make such a thing?

9. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I KNEW there MUST be a reason I married the guy! [​IMG]

10. Chicky Joy

Chicky Joy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2008
    Husband's and their tools huh? [​IMG]

Good for you![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by