Yay for the neighbor dog!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by mandelyn, Oct 24, 2009.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    So I'm up and it's still dark outside, neighbor dog has been barking her fool head off for the past... 2 hours??? One of those annoying, persistant barks, very unlike her. When my dad put my dogs out, they helped her (using serious Shepherd guard barks)

I crawl out of bed, not happy about it at all.

Dad goes to peek into the neighbor's yard to see what Sugar's deal is, and there's a dead opossum in the corner by the gate, and she's barking at it like she wants it to "wake up".

My girl shepherd has got to be jealous... I always scan the yard before letting them out, I've seen what a coon can do to a dog, and opossum's aren't much better. Sugar looked alright... but still. Ricca though, as soon as it's dark, sets a patrol line and trots it until bedtime, on high coon alert. Then Sugar catches herself an opossum!

I wonder if it was after chickens? Sugar's yard has chicken's behind it, and mine next to it. The neighbor chickens... I don't know their living arrangements and if they're easy to get to or not. Mine are not easy, I know that.

The neighbor's have Dobermans on the wooded side of their yard, where the coons, opossums, and fox come from. This opossum snuck in from the residential side. Between those Dobies and my Shepherds, it's the only way in!

Hope Sugar is ok, she looked alright in the floodlight.

2. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    I know coons can be nasty but I have never had a possum hurt a dog. It was probably playing dead. Congratulations on the dog keeping it away!

3. BorderKelpie

BorderKelpie Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2009
    outside Dallas
    What a good dog. How nice it is to read a thread about a neighbor's dog and it be a good thread. Thanks for that.
    Sugar deserves a hug.

4. Iowa Roo Mom

Iowa Roo Mom Resistance Is Futile

Apr 30, 2009
    Keokuk County
    My dog killed a 'possum the other day- It tagged his back leg, not deep- got some antibiotics form the vet the next day and had the wound cleaned.

[​IMG] for good dogs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by