Yay, found eggs for cheap!

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bettacreek, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Bettacreek

Bettacreek Overrun With Chickens

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Well, after searching for awhile, the best I could find was $2.75/doz, and I'd have to drive about 10 minutes from my work to get them. Today, I had to hit the grocery store and decided to check the one farm "store" that's on the way to the grocery store (and to my work, AND beside my hubby's work). I asked if she had eggs, and she points to the cooler. I grab a dozen, check out, then get in the car and count change to see how much they were. She had given me cash and $.50, so I assumed they'd be like $3.50/doz. NOPE, they were $1.50! PLUS, they were JUMBOS! I about had a heart attack. The store eggs are $1.47/doz for white larges, on sale. I was so excited that I actually called hubby just to tell him. He apparantly wasn't paying full attention though, because he wasn't super excited, but when I got home, I showed him and he was like, "what, only one dozen?! I'll probably eat half of them before Monday!" And then he was finally excited about them, lol. Anyways, I know, stupid to get excited, but we've been eating garbage eggs for quite some time now. I can't wait, I have chicken fried rice Asian Helper (yeah, I know, box meal, but hey, this one is GOOD), and I can't wait to dump some good eggs in it. Plus, we're going to have to eat dippy eggs instead of scrambled. I usually scramble the junk eggs so that I can add other stuff to make it better, but now we can eat nummy dippy eggs instead. [​IMG] Nom nom!

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    [​IMG] It's lunch time here stop talinkg about chinese food... [​IMG]

No seriously ... that is sweet. And a 1.50 wow... [​IMG]

3. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    MMMM, chinese food. I haven't even had breakfast yet and ya'll are already me think about lunch.

4. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. Hubby was right. We just made eggs and toast for lunch, and we're down to four eggs, lol. We're usually not big egg eaters, but that's because we had to eat those junk eggs. I think I'm going back later today to get another dozen, since she's closed on Sunday, and four eggs won't make breakfast for the three of us, especially if hubby eats four eggs again, lol. Even our son scarfed two down. He usually eats two, but never this fast, lol. Four eggs would be perfect to put into the chinese food though.

5. conny63malies

conny63malies Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2008
    Annetta Kentucky
    I just cracked the last of my jumbo eggs i bought of a amish lady for breakfast. Oh so yummy. Had them with peppered bacon and pancakes.

6. babymakes6

babymakes6 Gifted

Feb 24, 2009
    far west Ohio
    I am surprised nobody asked you what dippy eggs are! I knew before looking that you had to be from PA!

7. mjdtexan

mjdtexan Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2008
    Houston(ish)
    Shoot, what are ya buying eggs for, you do have chickens like the rest of us, right?

Mjd [​IMG]

8. Bettacreek

Jan 7, 2009
    Central Pennsyltucky
    Lol. I didn't even think about regional terms for the dippy eggs, lol. Kind of like how some people are shocked when they see purple pickled eggs, lol.

I do have chickies, but, my oldest two are like 9 weeks old, and one may not even be a pullet (it's a silkie, and I'm not sure of its gender). The rest are young 4 week old chickies and younger. I could eat quail eggs, but, eh, I've been tossing them in the bator to butcher later.

9. English Chick

English Chick English Mum

Jun 27, 2008
    Cheshire UK
    Now they where a bargain!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by