1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yay! Hatching eggs and tryin' out incubators! (Pic of ducks :) 8th p)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by GracefulBantams, Feb 8, 2008.

1. GracefulBantams

GracefulBantams Hatching and Showing

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    I am so excited! My Bantam girls have finally started laying again! I now have 2 MF. d'Uccle eggs, 2 SS. Hamburg eggs, and 1 W. Cochin egg.
    The best news is that I asked if I could go ahead and start incubating them, and Mom said "yes" [​IMG] I was going to have to wait until the first of March.
    So, if they keep laying 1 a day, I'm going to set them this upcoming Monday, then again the next Monday, and so on - to have a staggered hatch. (I am planning on only hatching about three weeks worth for now, because, then I am going to save up eggs to trade with some people)

I'm probably going to be asking you guys for help along the way, because I am trying out a incubator for the first time.
    I got this incubator at a garage sale last Fall, so I am not positive of it's previous history. I do know that the inside is perfectly clean, but the outside is all dusty because it was stored without a box, in an old shop. I'm thinking that it was only used once, or maybe never, because of how clean the inside is.

It is much nicer than the Little Giant I used to borrow. This one is a Hova-bator, forced air (it has a fan). It also has a window top and a turner [​IMG] [​IMG]

Over-all I am extremely excited, but I am still slightly stressed (incubating does that to ya!) [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 13, 2008
  2. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay, for those of you that want to know speciffics [​IMG] Here is the exact mobels of what I have:
    Incubator
    Turner

3. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    I'm jealous, I don't even have an incubator yet... [​IMG]

4. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Oh, I am sure you will wind up getting one sooner or later [​IMG]

5. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Okay, after struggling all day long with the temperature, I have now loaded the 'bator *waiting for the fanfare* [​IMG]
    The current list of eggs is:
    5 Hamburg
    3 Cochin
    3 d'Uccle
    2 Duck

6. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    I'm glad to hear the temperatures are holding steady for you. Good luck with your hatch.

Jody

7. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks, hinkjc.
    Okay, we have been at a pretty steady 100*F all today, but I keep bumping it down just a hair.

8. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    ~*fanfare*~ [​IMG] [​IMG]

Congrats and ah... yeah, I ended up ordering a 'bator. [​IMG]

9. GracefulBantams

Oct 10, 2007
    Oklahoma
    Thanks for the fanfare [​IMG]
    Glad you are getting a bator so soon! Just be sure to join the Hatchaholics anonymous group ASAP [​IMG] [​IMG]
    Hey, don't you live somewhere around here (Durant)...

10. Cuban Longtails

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Antlers area (home) and I work in Hugo. [​IMG] I'm not too far from Durant, about an hour or so. I don't know why I thought you were in the OKC area.

See... I just HAD to get the bator so I could catch a really good deal for SpeckledHen's eggs and... yeah... lol [​IMG] Hatchaholics anonymous here I come!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by