YAY I have a broody BR.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jossanne, Mar 3, 2009.

1. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    I have read a lot of posts about broodies on here, and haven't found too many talking about BR's. I didn't expect this breed to go broody, and was surprised this weekend when she wouldn't come out of the nest. I gave her 12 mutt eggs to sit, and she seems devoted. She'll be a year old at the end of this month, and this is her first broody period.

So how good are BR mamas? Can I expect her to last the entire incubation period, or will she give out on me? Is it worth it to buy the silkie eggs I've been wanting, and let her set them?

*Edited to add pic*
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  2. 4 Love of Baby Chickens

4 Love of Baby Chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Yes I've had my Barred Rock hen Pepper go broody on me twice this past year.

She raised 4 pure BR babies the first time (they were killed along with most of my flock this past summer by coons.) and went broody around the first of August and raised 4 RIR's 3 roosters and 1 pullet (one of the roos which I sold for $15 and another that I have to sell plus the pair that I'm keeping for breeding.)

She is one of the best mothers that I ever had.

And this past year at the fair I bought a broody BR and her family for $20. She was the best broody that I ever had. (She had 3 pullets and 1 roo. The pullets are starting to lay now.)

So to answer your question if BR's are good broody's the answer is YES!!!!!!!!

4 Love of Baby Chickens

Last edited: Mar 3, 2009
  3. Catalina

Catalina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2007
    Minnesota
  4. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    She's very dedicated so far, at the end of day 4 on her mutt eggs. I'm trying to buy some BBS silkie eggs, if I can get them here quickly. I'll keep the 3 EE eggs under her, because I'm curious to see what those crosses will look like, and hope that she continues to set the silkie eggs after I remove the EE cross babies. What do you think? Will this work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by