Yay! It looks like I have 6 fertile Hamburg eggs after all!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by playingchicken, Jan 26, 2009.

1. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    [​IMG]
    Quick background: I am new to the hatching thing and I hatched a pair of Golden penciled Hamburgs in July. They were so much fun to watch. We live in town but not near anyone so they mostly ran around the yard coming over to anyone begging for treats.

My father-in-law, who grew up on a farm and never cared for roosters, developed an attachment to our little rooster. Unfortunately, a hawk killed our roo about a month ago. They were both 6 months old at the time and I hadn't seen any eggs (probably because they had the run of a large yard and weren't using the nest box.)

I immediately kept the poor lonely hen penned up and she started using the nest box a few days after that. Thanks to some advice here, I decided to dust off the LG still air and start collecting some eggs. I got 11 over 2 weeks.

I set them on the 20th and last night it looked like 6 were developing!!!! We have another dozen from another breeder coming after these hatch because these came off Ebay and I have no idea how close they were to standard.

Here a few old pictures of Hansel and Gretel. I wish I had a more recent one of the roo because he had a gorgeous, full, green tail and was nearly blaze orange on the head.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Wish me luck! [​IMG]

2. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Well he was still very pretty even as young as he was, hope you get 100% hatch!!

3. playingchicken

playingchicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2008
    Thanks! We are all so excited about it! I had never seen the two of them, ahem, do the deed so I wasn't sure if they were fertile eggs or not.

He really was a sweet roo and never tried to attack anyone. We won't be letting them wander without supervision anymore though. (I never thought that hawks would be a problem in the city limits but they are. One killed our neighbors two hens right in front of their little boy. [​IMG])

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by