1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

YAY! Made chick order for March

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by silkiechicken, Feb 11, 2008.

1. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

Just put in my order for 8 cornish x, 3 turkeys, and 8 buff silkies from Ideal! Due to arrive the 19th of march! FLUFF BUTTS!!! Now to get two pens set up for their arival!

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Good luck with your new birds Silkie. At least you won't have to deal with frozen ground while you are getting your pens ready. Eek it was 9 degrees this morning, and Saturday was 58. Go figure.

3. Henrietta23

Henrietta23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2007
    Eastern CT
    Yay!!! Chickeroonis!

4. silkiechicken

Sometimes I wish it was frozen instead of soaking wet and squishy! That way I don't track anything into the house and i can just take a shovel and scoop up frozen chicken piles in one piece that are scattered on the front walk way.

5. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    Cool [​IMG] What kind of turkeys are you getting? I'm debating on what kind to get, and when. I'd like to raise a couple for Thanksgiving, and then maybe have a pair on the yard to stay. Our local farm supply store usually gets some, and I might just go that route...

6. silkiechicken

I got the BB bronze turkeys. They are slated for end of summer. For yard walkers though, I hear the non broad breasted types are the way to go as BB types are slated for possible leg problems much like the cornish x's.

7. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    "Yard walkers," [​IMG] I haven't heard it put that way before [​IMG]

Ok, that makes sense, letting those huge birds go too long, I can just imagine [​IMG]

I really like the Bourbon Reds, Royal Palm, and Slate Blues, as far as my yard walkers, but I don't want/need the minimum for those guys...not to mention they are usually $8+ a poult, eek!

8. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I can imagine myself doing that, and then having pizza for Thanksgiving because I couldn't do the deed when the time came. :|

Call me a wimp, but I've already made plans to be 'out of pocket' when/if I get extra roos that my SO is going to have to deal with.

9. BrahmaMama

Jan 8, 2008
    South Dakota
    [​IMG]

Oh, I won't be doing it....I'm going to pay someone else to [​IMG]

10. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    great!
    I ordered from ideal also and my order will come in mid March.
    I ordered some malays, orloffs, yokohamas, buttercups, and orpingtons.
    I hope they all come safely.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by