1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

YAY!! My beautiful blue/green eggs arrived! UPDATE

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cthrash1, Jun 23, 2008.

1. cthrash1

cthrash1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    I just recieved some gorgeous blue/green eggs from sinbad on eggbid...can't wait to put them in the bator tomorrow. Wish me luck...

Chicks hatched this last Monday 2 out of 8...

Last edited: Jul 19, 2008
  2. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  3. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    yes it came with the eggs...I don't have anything to sanitize with though [​IMG]...Don't know how, but I did clean my bator really well with a touch of bleach in the water and rinsed until I couldn't smell anything. [​IMG]

4. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    Throw the box away and wash your counters and everything you touched with the packaging with the bleach water.

If the eggs hatch, keep the chicks seperated from the rest of your flock until they are 6-8 weeks old. (that is because of other reasons I won't go into)

Also clean the incubator throughly again when you are done with the hatch. ILT is very contagious and I would hate if you got infected through cross contamination.

5. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Sorry to threadjack, but what is ILT? Please?
    Krista

Last edited: Jun 23, 2008
  6. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    A herpesvirus (pathogenicity can vary) infection of chickens, pheasants, peafowl and turkeys with a morbidity of 50-100% and a mortality usually 10-20% but sometimes up to 70%. Recovered and vaccinated birds are long-term carriers. The route of infection is via upper respiratory tract and conjunctiva or possibly oral and the course of the disease is up to 6 weeks. Fairly slow lateral spread occurs in houses. Transmission between farms can occur by airborne particles or fomites.

The virus is highly resistant outside host but is susceptible to disinfectants. Movement and mixing of stock and reaching point of lay are predisposing factors.

Signs

Dyspnoea.
    Gasping.
    Coughing of mucus and blood.
    Drop in egg production.
    Ocular discharge.
    Sinusitis.
    Nasal discharge (low pathogenicity strains).
    Post-mortem lesions

Severe laryngotracheitis, often with blood in lumen, caseous plugs may be present.
    Microscopically - intranuclear inclusions in tracheal epithelium.

7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Is there anywhere to find out if a particular person/farm has issues? Like a listing? Is it higher in certain regions? sorry for 20 questions
    Krista

8. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    pips&peeps :

Throw the box away and wash your counters and everything you touched with the packaging with the bleach water.

If the eggs hatch, keep the chicks seperated from the rest of your flock until they are 6-8 weeks old. (that is because of other reasons I won't go into)

Also clean the incubator throughly again when you are done with the hatch. ILT is very contagious and I would hate if you got infected through cross contamination.

Have already thrown away box but will go clean where it sat. Thank you for the heads up on this... [​IMG]

9. cthrash1

Apr 15, 2008
    Somerset, KY
    pips&peeps :

ETA: Did you get a VS9-3 form?

Explains why I recieved that with my eggs...Just thought it was good customer service.​

10. pips&peeps

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    That is just her NPIP paper work which I am trying to get her removed from the program as she has purchased chicks and eggs from people who are not certified and that is against the regulations.

She has even admitted to the State she bought chickens that were not NPIP certified as she tried to blame a breeder in IA for giving her ILT.

Krista,

You can call your State Dept of Ag and ask them if there have been any outbreaks in certain areas, but that is about all they will tell you, they try to say it is confidential information.....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by