1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yay my first chick hatched!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Pit Bull Farm, Sep 14, 2009.

1. Pit Bull Farm

Pit Bull Farm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 1, 2009
    So I had a clutch if guinea eggs I wanted to hatch but when I candled them they had nothing in them. Well the chickens that were sitting on the eggs had laid a few of their own in the nest and when I candled them I saw babies! Long story short this morning I go out to feed the chicken and there is momma with one little baby. The other hen is still sitting on the rest of the eggs and I might get one or two more baby chicks. I have always raised chicks that I got from the feed store and never let a hen raise them. I put them in a smaller coop away from the other chickens but now I don't know what to do next. Do I need to get starter for the chick or will the hen feed the baby? I know it's a newbie question but like I said I have never had a hen raise a chick. Thanks; I will post pictures later today.

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Ummmm. I dont mean to sound like a smart alec, but if you dont provide chick feed what will the hen feed the chicks?

Taking them through the McDonalds drive-thru probably isnt an option for her... [​IMG]

3. Chickens are not like us. Human Mothers can provide natural food for our babies through breast milk. Chickens, sad to know, don't have that. You need a starter feed.

4. Pit Bull Farm

Jun 1, 2009
    So maybe my question didn't sound right.... I have lay feed in there now for the Hen but I didn't know if they Hen feeds the baby like regular bird by regurgitation. I have starter so I will make sure there is plenty for them.

5. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

Perfect!

I never thought about regurgitation. I just had a visual of nursing chicks... Thank you for the giggle [​IMG]

Good luck with your peep!

6. Pit Bull Farm

Jun 1, 2009
    LMAO ok I am not that much of a newbie! [​IMG] I never tried to milk the chicken! lol

7. Pit Bull Farm

Jun 1, 2009
    Here he or she is!
    [​IMG]
    Here it is all hatched! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. DuckFanatic

DuckFanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2009
    AZ
    Awwwwwwwwww! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    That is one of the CUTEST chicks i have ever seen!!!!

9. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    That is the cutest little itty bitty. I hope it doesn't squeeze through the fence somewhere.

It looks SO SMALL. Good luck with the rest of them.

10. Happy Chooks

Happy Chooks Moderator Staff Member

Jul 9, 2009
    Northern CA
    My Coop
    So adorable. What breed is the mommy? She's very pretty, love her coloring.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by