Yay! My first egg ever!!! Which feed now though? Advise please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chanty, Jun 23, 2011.

1. chanty

chanty Out Of The Brooder

May 29, 2011
    Now I have a chick feed question...I have 3 chickens about 12 weeks and two about 22 weeks, one has just laid her first egg. Do I feed them all chick-layer feed? They do get to free-range all day too. OR Do I feed them all chick grower until the youngers are 16 weeks?? Some advise please. [​IMG]

2. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    Time for layer feed! I would use up what you already have, and the next time you're out to the store, buy the layer feed.

Congrats on your first eggs!

Sharon

3. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    If you have chickens of different ages and will for a while, you can just keep feeding the starter/grower and off free choice oyster shell or crushed egg shell. That's what I do.

4. chanty

May 29, 2011
    Won't giving them egg shells give them a taste for their own eggs?

5. diggergal

diggergal Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2010
    Illinois
    Let your egg shells dry and then crush before feeding.

6. texasgal

texasgal Brood with an Attitude

Apr 18, 2009
    [​IMG]

There is an unwritten law about posting pics of your first egg ... [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 24, 2011
  7. Time to buy a bag of layer feed next time you go to the feed store. The younger girls will adjust. Throw out some oyster shell or grind up/smash up DRIED egg shells and this will give your laying girls oportunity to get the needed nutrients they need for shell developement.

8. Tea S.

Tea S. Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2011
    when you are ready to buy feed, I just found out puriena sells a Omega 3 rich feed. I plan on useing it, was hopeing to hear if anyone else uses it.

I don't know where to purchase oyster shells. What age do you give them the Oyster shells?

Congrats on first egg!

Thanks,

Tea

9. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    Congratualtions !! This will be my first ever, egg, when it comes too:)

10. chanty

May 29, 2011
    Can one get oyster shells that are guaranteed to have no heavy metals? What is a good substitute besides dried egg shells? Is it even really necessary to give oyster shells when they are getting calcium from greens all day? I imagine in the winter (for us in the Northern climate) to give more calcium at that time. What do y'all think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by