yay! My Marans started laying!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kari_dawn, Feb 28, 2012.

1. kari_dawn

kari_dawn Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Okay, they are just hatchery stock, but I am still super excited!

[​IMG]

I have three marans girls, and they all look about the same in comb and wattle development/color, and two of them have been doing the egg squat for two weeks.

2. CSWolffe

CSWolffe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2011
    Salt Lake City
    Gorgeous eggs. I'm jealous. I've been drooling over Marans for a while now. Could not get hold of any this year, so I am settling for Wellsumers. Next year I will be bidding on some Marans hatching eggs, definately.

3. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Gourgeous!!! That's HATCHERY stock? That's so beautiful! Congradualtions! Where did you get her?

4. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    All three of them are from MPC. The two with the best foot feathering don't have a copper mantle (I prefer feather legged marans :p). The third has very sparse feathering on her legs, but a lovely copper mantle. One of them (Evie) is always in my face and under foot, and Cora is more reserved, but very sweet and quite smart.

[​IMG]

This is Cora. She has a very short head...but I still think she is stunning. Since this photo, her comb and wattles have gotten bigger...I do not know if this is her egg or not.

How long to marans pullet eggs take to get to their true color? This is a first egg...I must say I am suprised from what I have read that this egg is so dark for a first one.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  5. PtldChick

PtldChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Portland, OR
    Actaully, pullet eggs start out darkest and the egg color lightens up during the season as the vent stretches out...it may take a little while for their ink jets to get working, but if you're getting a consistent coloring, I wouldn't expect them to get any darker. Sorry. Nice egg, though. :)

6. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    Oh, I wasn't expecting a color even this dark when they started laying from reading about hatchery anything here on BYC...I was expecting something maybe a shade or two darker than a normal store bought brown egg. I am actually pretty pleased that the color is even this dark. I was just wondering how long it would take for her color to get consistant...

Last edited: Feb 29, 2012
  7. prettygreenegg

prettygreenegg Out Of The Brooder

Feb 3, 2012
    wow!! beautiful. Mine also just started. I had one egg yesterday and I wasn't sure. Then today I found a speckaled one!!

8. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas
    I picked up a super speckled one two days before this one! It was tiny...I guess it could have been a first marans egg though it was not nearly as dark as the one I shared the photo of originally on this thread...(and yes, those freckles were lavender colored just like my nail polish).

[​IMG]

9. RedIII

RedIII Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2011
    Tooele, Utah
    Beautiful eggs! Congrats!

And WOW on that speckled one. I've never seen lavender on an egg. That's just gorgeous.

10. kari_dawn

Nov 2, 2009
    North Texas

I actualy posted another thread about lavender speckles/spots on the eggs I have been collecting. I have found that when they get blackberries as treats, their eggs tend to get lavender freckles on them...this egg was collected the day after I had one of those little berry pints start to be too squishy for my taste, but just right for the girls. I tossed the whole pint out to them. They devoured those blackberries with relish, and then gave me this egg the next day.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by