Yay! My Sultan Hen LAID AN EGG!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Rare Feathers Farm, May 2, 2008.

1. [​IMG] I got out to the coop this morning and found a tiny, but well-formed WHITE egg! So I know it's HER! (The other hens all lay brown!) YIPPEE!

The bad part was that she laid in the run! [​IMG]

2. Nupine

Nupine Songster

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Yipee!!!!!!!!!! My sultan hens first started laying at 10 months! And the eggs were weird looking!!!!! I heard you wanted some white sultan bantam eggs, I would sell you some really good ones super cheap, but my two roos are only 2-3 months old. [​IMG]:mad: Hope you get more eggs.
    Ashlyn

3. Must Be Losing It

Must Be Losing It Lost It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    That's exciting. I just bought some Sultan chicks. How are they as adults?

4. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    All I can say is...make the most of it LOL

5. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    Uh oh! Will I regret this?

6. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    No, they're just not the most frequent layers. If they lay, buy a lottery ticket that day! They have spates when they'll lay, but they stop as soon as they start. I haven't had one lay more than 40 eggs in a year.

7. Must Be Losing It

Mar 3, 2008
    Uxbridge MA
    I can live with that. I just bought them to spice up my flock. Phew. You had me scared for a moment that I had bought the Hannibal Lecter of chickens.

8. Cara

Cara Songster

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    LOL The roosters can be, but the hens aren't.

9. Tutter

Tutter Songster

Apr 12, 2008
    N. California
    Congratulations! How exciting! [​IMG]

10. Nupine

Nupine Songster

Nov 21, 2007
    Ohio
    Sultan are one of the least aggressive birds. I am probably the oddball, everywhere I hear, people say sultan lay like 1 tiny egg a week, if that. Well I get about 5 a week or more from my hens, and they are probably the largest bantam eggs I've ever seen. They just didn't lay an egg till they were 9 months old. They started last late fall and have been prolific all winter, with no light. And these are NOT crosses!!!!!!!!!! I got them from a director of the APA, and they meet the standard excellently. Good luck!! Congrats!!!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by