Yay new roof works great!

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by harveyhorses, Jul 7, 2011.

1. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    So I had an incedent with a tree in my pen, and had to redo the top of my run. I bought some shade cloth remnants that should be here later this week, and another piece of plastice roofing. Redid all the wire and tarp coverings and after two really intense storms (one was hail and high winds the other 2 1/4 inches of rain) it is holding up great! Except where the rain came in sideways
    it stayed dry, no droopy places in the tarp, new piece of roof staying where it is supposed to. I am just happy with the storms we have had. Can't wait for the shade cloth!
    Oh I put this in Preds and Pests because the owls can no longer perch on the top!Or the hawks either.

2. bryan99705

bryan99705 Chillin' With My Peeps

Congrats! It's always a pain to have to duck walk in the run because of what you have to do to stop a predator.

If you have fence posts you suspect a owl or hawk is perching on (you can tell by the concentration of poo at the base) Try drilling a hole in the top and stick a piece of heavy wire upright in it (about 6") Then the only thing that can roost there is a stork! [​IMG] and they don't like chicken [​IMG]

3. harveyhorses

harveyhorses Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    They were perching on the top of the A, on the PVC pipe that runs the length of the run, but it now has two wiresabout 10 inches apart running above it. We had to be pretty ingenious rigging it up there, zip ties are a girls best friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by