Yay prednisone!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by TheDuckCrew, Jan 11, 2010.

1. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    So i noticed i started getting sick tuesday of last week. when i woke up for school on wednesday, oh boy was i a mess. i kept getting ready but i looked at my throat and it was sooo swollen. like almost swollen closed. i stayed home and only got worse, so i went to the doctor the next day. they tested for strep. negative. he said i just had a cold and id be fine. but he was wrong. i kept getting worse. my sinus pressure built up and was unbelievable and i could barely swallow, the pain was excruciating. eating and drinking were hard tasks. and the pain of swallowing spread to my ear. my parents became very worried and brought me to a different doctor yesterday. the first words out of the doctors mouth as he was examining me, "oh boy," coming from a doctor, thats something you don't wanna hear! they repeated the strep test and also did a mono test. they had to prick my finger. twice. [​IMG] i do nottttt do well with pain to my fingers. i can be thrown off horses into walls, and get back on. i can cut my foot open, have toes crushed and be fine. stub my finger in a game of volleyball and i'm on the ground with the room spinning and turning black. the second the nurse walked out i laid back on the table. i looked at my mom and she had no idea. i had held myself together well. but i was sweating and could feel myself going to pass out. the doctor walked out of the room for the tests to come back, they normally take 5 minutes. she opened the door right back up and said mono came back positive. FAST! so the doctor prescribed me three days of prednisone. and wowww this stuff works miracles. the swelling and redness in my throat has gone down sooo much! i don't look like a monster anymore! almost all the white spots have disappeared and my sinuses are clearing up! i still have some pain in my throat and around my ear when swallowing, but it has greatly subsided. prednisone, i bow down to you! [​IMG] despite the fact that im getting better, i still can't go back to school, all week [​IMG] midterms are next week too. i am so bored out of my mind! i wanna go back to school! i was only back two days after vacation before i got sick. there is absolutely nothing to do but sleep and watch movies over and over and over again. but at least i'm feeling better!! [​IMG] [​IMG] i think i'll be spending a lot of time on BYC [​IMG]

2. blessedchickenmama7

blessedchickenmama7 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
    Western NC
    Glad you are feeling better. My youngest son had mono this past year. He's in college. He took the steroids, too and they worked really quickly. But he was pretty sick like you said before that.

3. TheDuckCrew

TheDuckCrew Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Connecticut
    yeah monos a killer. my sister had it last year, but nothing like this. she got swine at college too and that wasn't even bad for her. she's just a lucky duck! when i get sick, i get sickkkk.

4. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

Glad the new doctor figured out what was wrong. I know you're bored out of your skull, but rest up. Mono is NOT to be messed around with!

5. WriterofWords

WriterofWords Has Fainting Chickens

Dec 25, 2007
    Chaparral, New Mexico
    Prednisone worked miracles on my sinus infection too! Get well quick!

6. Boyd

Boyd Recipient of The Biff Twang

Mar 14, 2009
    MI
    Doc gave me that after a "heart" incident (TIA). Man I felt like a million bucks and the wife appreciated it too. I was on it for two weeks. High dosage. Makes a 30 something year old feel 18 again.

7. maplesky7

maplesky7 Flock Mistress

Jun 14, 2008
    N. IL.
    reeeally Boyd? huh, I did not know that.

I used to have to give it to my ferret. Her name was Spazzy Mazzy, as she could be a SPAZ MaTRAZZ!! [​IMG]

I'm so happy to hear your feeling better duckcrew.

8. wildorchid053

wildorchid053 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    syracuse area, ny
    that is soooo wonderful.. i had mono and was home 3 mos.. and they didn't have the meds like you do now.. i had the throat thing 3 weeks..dropped 25 lbs.. and cried alot.. it was horrible.. all the white spots in my throat..i wouldn't wish that on my worst enemy.... thank god for the new things they learn over time.. gl with your mono....

9. Hen_House_Rocks!

Hen_House_Rocks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Glad to hear you're feeling better!

Just a quick warning, though. The prednisone may make you REALLY emotional after taking it for a while. I had to take it for a month last year when I came down with Bells palsy. I cried at the drop of a hat and felt really crazy there for a while. Wish someone would have warned me. I would have stocked up on kleenex!! [​IMG]

10. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    You may not even realize that prednisone is giving you mood swings. The first time I took it I had them BIG TIME; but I did not realize it--DH sure did, though. Also, be sure to follow the doctor's orders exactly for taking and especially for stopping the prednisone. You cannot safely stop it abruptly. Even when I had significant side effects from it several years ago (several months of very high doses to control my asthma) I had to get off it gradually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by