Yay! Right on schedule this time!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mandelyn, Dec 10, 2010.

1. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    So the first thing I did after tossing 20 of 24 eggs on day 14 was buy some more. I ended up with 3 chicks, two boys and 1 girl... showing up a week late. As soon as they were done, I set the new eggs, with a new digital thermometer this time around.

Babies are due tomorrow, but I have one today already out, another zipped, a couple pipped, exciting! I checked this morning and nothing was happening, but then my husband came up saying "You know you have a new chick?"

What? I do? That was fast!

I am now the proud new owner of Marans. The first out says girl to me, black flatten comb.

Photos to come after I'm allowed to open the incubator, I've been very good about following the rules this time around.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    So good that you have done better this time around. I was shocked at reading the first were a week late [​IMG] I have never heard of chickens still surviving that long.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2010
  3. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yeah I didn't know either! I was going to toss them at day 23 but had husband practice opening skills. I was like "Now be careful, think of it as alive" and it was! Never has that happened before, to my knowledge, since I don't always open them up past 21 days.

The quick hatch has slowed, still have just the one chick. Eggs are rocking and chirping though, so there's some more in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by