YAY - Success so far introducing baby - more questions though

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Aussie new mum, Oct 21, 2008.

1. Aussie new mum

Aussie new mum Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Brisbane, Queensland
    Hi all from Australia
    I love this forum - it has helped me so much.
    For the last 5 days I have been letting my 9 week old pekin bantam out with my 11 month old. The first and second days there was a bit of sqwarking and some attempted pecks but the baby is really fast and has just been running out of the way. Today they spent most of the day together (about 7 hours) and I checked on them every 30 minutes or so. They seemed fine - the baby was following the big one around for a while then was wandering off by herself. I had a bit of a panic as I couldn't find her at one stage - I wish she would come when I called like the older one does but I guess this will come with time. At least she seems to run to me when she thinks there might be trouble.
    I am still keeping them separated at night and on your advice will do so until the baby is at least 16 weeks.
    She is fully feathered and it is spring here so am I right to say she is probably not at risk of suffering from a chill?
    Also, she is on chick grower but when I let her out she is pecking and eating god knows what out of the garden. She had a small piece of grape this morning but it was covered in dirt - is that ok?
    I know if I was feeding her a lot of other food she would need grit but I thought as she is eating in the garden she is sort of getting grit in the form of dirt - is this right?
    Thanks so much for your advice
    Jus

2. skeeter9

skeeter9 Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi Jus,
    I'm sorry I know nothing about ducks, but I thought I'd give your post a bump so someone could answer your questions.

Best of luck with your quackers!

3. jossanne

jossanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 11, 2008
    Gila, New Mexico
    Hi Aussie, she's getting all the "grit" she needs from the dirt. And it's fine to supplement her grower rations with goodies now and then. She'll love you for it. Sounds like they're getting along great.

I integrated chicks and older pullets this summer, twice. Once I got them to the point of leaving each other alone during the day, I didn't bother separating them at night, and have never had a problem. They're 14 weeks, 18 weeks, and 6 months, and they all live together happily.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by