YAY!!! The integration process is over!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Nicole01, Jun 20, 2011.

1. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    WOOT! Finally, I never thought this day would come. My two small flocks are finally integrated together after 3 long weeks. It's not perfect, but the 13 week olds are no longer chasing the 7-12 week girls and hard pecking. I no longer have to separate them using the dog kennel.

It started out being a nightmare and I had to intervene, so the little ones wouldn't get hurt. Especially my bantam d'uccle. Right now they are all in the run, after 3 weeks. Once in a while the two groups mix together. Mostly they stay separated in the run. They all sleep together and are fine when lights are out. The babies are allowed to stay in the run without being chased.

I'm so happy!

2. Yay Chicks!

Yay Chicks! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2010
    Forest Grove, OR
    Yay! Congratulations!

3. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    I'm happy for you! [​IMG]

4. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Thank you! I feel like it's a dream and not really happening.lol

5. chi-rn

chi-rn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    I have 11-weekers I'm trying to integrate with my 1st year hens. I envy you! Congratulations![​IMG]

6. Nicole01

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    Quote:Good luck! This was my first integration. Who'd ever think it would be so difficult, especially with everyone at a pretty young age. I hope your year old hens accept the 11 week olds soon.[​IMG]

7. Moxiechick

Moxiechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2010
    Maine
    Congratulations! I just did the same thing last week. 'Tis a wonderful thing when they're all together! [​IMG]

8. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

More! More! I want to hear details!

I live in fear of having to do this. Luckily my broody hen took on my new chicks so they are "grandfathered in" so to speak since there's only one other hen and she's now vastly outnumbered and is keeping a respectful distance.

But I may not always be so lucky so would like to hear the play by play

9. urbancountrygal

urbancountrygal Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    Clovis
    I have to do this soon. I have 8-9/10wk olds and 12 -1 month old chicks. I might have a roo though, so I am hoping that will help the process. They free range together now but stay far apart. Do you have a roo?

10. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]
    I know not all integrations go good. I just put three boys with some girls and there was a little pecking but nothing serious. The boys are 14 weeks and the girls are 10 weeks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by