1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yay! They Shall Arrive! [Your Hatching Success?]

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by little_grey_bantam, Jan 20, 2010.

1. little_grey_bantam

little_grey_bantam Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    My eggs hatch in a week... in a WEEK! One single WEEK! I'm freaking out - I took out 7 eggs out of 42 today since they weren't developing (well they stopped at 1 1/2- weeks). Though all were fertilized. Cute, beautiful Black Copper Marans - strangely enough, last year, MOST I hatched out were pullets...!!!! BOOYAH!!!! And there were a lot of pullets [​IMG]

While doing this, I was thinking, how many of you have purchased eggs online (and had shipped) and what were your results?

I once spent $100 on 9 BCM eggs and I think 7 OEGB eggs (these were extras)... none hatched out [​IMG] I think it was due to the packaging - they wrapped it in foam and plastic [​IMG] broke my heart; it just goes to show you that it is not always the sellers/breeders fault that the eggs do not hatch - though small tidbits could affect it. Strange thing, I opened all the eggs afterward and none were developed even a little bit. I suppose they died being shipped [​IMG]

Again, we had spent another similar amount on Speckled Sussexes, White Marans and a few other breeds - I think 2 1/2 dozen exactly - we had approximately 6-8 hatch out (I think one guy hatched, but died - I was too blubbery to remember). Better than zero. lol Same again, this person wasn't at fault for sending eggs who did not want to hatch - even though I pleaded with them!

Has anyone has a good result or outcome with shipped eggs? How many eggs did you purchase, where did you get it from, how old were they and how many babies hatched out in the end? Do you ever blame the seller? It just makes me wonder how many people have had bad results and/or good results with shipped eggs. Mine have turned out alright, it's a half/half situation. Sometimes I've had very few to zero hatch, other times, half. [​IMG] Also, how many eggs have you had shipped to you? Thanks!

Also, what do you have in your incubator right now and when do they come out and play??? (MINE IN A WEEK!!! YAYAYAYAY!!)

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    My Jan 1st hatch was the best success, I've had with shipped eggs, BUT most of the chicks in my hatch are roos. [​IMG]

3. k2chickens

k2chickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2009
    New Castle, Indiana
    first hatch i ever did was in a forced air LG and i had egg's sent from California to where im at in Indiana. They were in the mail for about 4 to 5 days. Had an 80% hatch rate! Except for one thing, 6 were roo's and only 1 was a pullet. figures right? [​IMG] lol

4. GraceAK

GraceAK Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2009
    Eagle River, AK
    Mine are coming out next friday! Thats a week and a half! YEEEEAAAAAHHHHHH!!!![​IMG] [​IMG]
    They are shipped eggs from MPC (which was expensive as blue blazes) so theyd better hatch [​IMG]
    They are ... 8 Australorps, 3 EEs, and 5 Barred rocks. I will probaby sell the barred rocks and get some SS instead though ;D Gotta check what the feed store has!

I hope mine hatch. Even though they were shipped by what I view as a pretty legitimate company, they were packed in newspaper and picnic napkins [​IMG] at least they were able to breath! I ordered 2 dozen but 2 broke on the way...... Sigh.

However, at my 1 week candling, only 6 had quit. That's not too bad I guess. I know for sure at least 2 will hatch, because I saw them move! That's normal for some people but I think it's amazing.

Blah blah blah Oh how I ramble.

5. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:What was the worst success? LOL What incubator do you use? We've been using the same brand and just purchased two other types of incubators. Apparently, ALL the new incubators we purchase puke within a few usage [​IMG] And yes, that is how it always works LOL

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

I have had alot of shipped eggs. My best hatch (shipped) was 16 out of 18. They were wrapped in paper towels, and placed snuggly in egg cartons. Then, the egg cartons were placed snug into a, "Priority," postal box. These traveled from the east coast to Missouri.

I've had eggs from Georgia, Indiana, east coast, and I can't remember the others. I figure a 50% rate is acceptable. The ones from Georgia always take longer to get here, than from other states, for some reason ... I think they use the Pony Express there. [​IMG]

My worst was from a person, who sells lots of eggs ... absolutely the worst packing job ... little serama eggs sitting in a carton, and the carton in a box ... not firm or snug. The eggs were old, as evidenced by exploding eggs. I hatched 4 out of 24. Bad packing, bad eggs, and I probably screwed up incubating, too ... [​IMG]

7. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:LOL, don't you love it when you think an egg is bad and then it wiggles? You're like "OMG, I almost murdered you!!!" I have 7 eggs (Marans) that are SO dark, I can't tell if they're going to hatch or not. The other 30 something are good to go! Of course, my incubator spurts once in awhile lol 6 is alright. I was just wondering though since if I hatch out my eggs, I get a pretty good hatch rate, despite fluky bators, but if I incubate other eggs, they sort of plummet lol I'm not sure if it's the shipping, eggs or what!

Ya know what, paper napkins seems to be the BEST wrap for them [​IMG] foam and other plastic stuff can kill 'em I found out [​IMG]

If ya wanna buy SS, I have eggs [​IMG]
    I'm thinking about producing Olive Eggers... I have a lonely maran rooster and I really want some!!! O.O I love EEs, but BF no likey them [​IMG]I'll sneak 'em in... LOL [​IMG]

8. little_grey_bantam

Mar 29, 2009
    Russell County
    Quote:THEY EXPLODED? They would have to be VERY VERY VERY old to do that... Ughh... I once lost an egg (removing the bad ones), rolled underneath a table... I found it a month later... went to go pick it up and BOOM! I about cried lol I hope that story made you feel better [​IMG]

Serama eggs and banty eggs are so little, I would hope they would package them... [​IMG] they would bounce so much. I thought it was hillbilly to wrap them in tissue, but I found out, looks mean nothing. As long as they arrive safe and sound and do a good job hatching, it's alright [​IMG]

I think 40-50% is what is should be expected from shipped eggs. Maybe 50-60% to throw in some more space, but I'm not sure. I don't purchase many eggs, but ship them out. [​IMG] What incubator do you use?

9. kathyinmo

Quote:Pssst ... It's MaranS, with an s .... Don't you know ... the Poultry Police will get ya, if you don't spell it right! [​IMG] Always with an, "S" whether it is singular or plural. There, your lesson for today! [​IMG]

10. kathyinmo

Quote:I have hatched in a HovaBator a few times. Now, I have a Sportsman to incubate in. But, I will transfer them to the HovaBator to hatch. Mainly because I have staggered hatches ... I move them into the HovaBator for lockdown. Currently, I have hatches due:
    Jan 24, Jan 28, Feb 4, Feb 6, and I have 2 more shipments mailed out today that will go in on Friday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by