Yay!!!!! We got out first egg! But who did it?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by powellchicks, Sep 9, 2012.

1. powellchicks

powellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2012
    BC Canada
    After a long wait that seemed to be forever, we got our first egg this morning. I woke my daughters up, like it was Christmas morning, got their boots on and discovered the egg. They were thrilled. Then they asked, who did it? Hopefully, that's where you come in. It is a very pale brown with a few darker brown specks. Your choice for layer would be Buff Rock, Black Australorp, Salmon Faverolle or Delaware. Thanks for your guesses in advance.

2. powellchicks

Jun 8, 2012
    BC Canada
    For some reason the picture loader is not working

3. powellchicks

Jun 8, 2012
    BC Canada
    I was able to load it as my avatar at least

4. Vickilynn45

Vickilynn45 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2012
    Hope someone can help you, and congrats on her first egg! I have three laying now and I can't always tell who's is who's unless I catch them right afterwards.

5. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I had to wait to catch somebody on a nest to find out who was laying. Still, that only narrowed it down to variety. My first layers was one of my Columbian crosses (I have 3). I now have at least 2 of them laying, I've seen one RIR and at least 1 of my black sex linked on nests. Still not sure who is laying and who is not. I think some are still practicing lol.

6. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    Professor Plum in the library with a candlestick??

Good luck with that, I've been head scratching for 4 weeks. Just when I think I've got them all figured out, someone throws a curve ball. [​IMG]

7. powellchicks

Jun 8, 2012
    BC Canada
    One a day for the last three days. The last two came in the afternoon. Sure wish I could figure out who is doing it.

8. powellchicks

Jun 8, 2012
    BC Canada
    We are now at five days is a row. Same type of egg. Very consistant but weird that they are laying in the late morning or early afternoon.

9. 7 Biddies

7 Biddies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012
    NE GA Mountains
    My Coop
    That's not weird at all, when you consider that they produce a new egg every 25-26 hours. I thought they all laid in the morning, too, but my chickens have shown me that's just a myth. They don't lay at night, however, so if they lay too late one afternoon, the next day they may not lay at all, then lay in the morning of the following day.

Numbers 5 & 6 are now laying. I have my suspicions, but don't know for sure who it is. Only one left to go.

10. BeulahBreezes

BeulahBreezes Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2012
    Western NY
    Congratulations on your 1st egg! It's not weird to be egg-cited about it at all! Afterall, you've been waiting for many months for just this moment! lol!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by