Yay! We're moving!!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by Daddas1Punkin, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Daddas1Punkin

Daddas1Punkin Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    We've been trying to figure out a way that we could fit four people, two dogs, three cats, 12 chickens, one dwaf hamster, a fire-belly toad, five fish aquariums, and a betta bowl into a two bedroom house for years. It seemed impossible! (A little history about the house) It was built by my great-great-grandfather and great-grandfather, and my 103 year old great-grandmother is still living, we couldn't possibly all fit in that house so when my grandpa and grandma passed a couple of years ago, the house was empty. We didn't like that, so my cousin, his wife and two little girls moved in. Last month she had another baby, and it was a boy. There in now not enough space for them, so they are moving out the middle of March. We don't want it to sit empty again, so we had a decision to make: Move or stay? So we decided that we are going to pick up and move.
    [​IMG]
    We have about two and a half weeks to pack and a week and a half to do some minor changes and repairs. Now, we still had the bedroom issue. There is this room that we call the "Breeze way" and there are no windows/insulating. So my dad and I are going to put up insulation and then drywall goes up then I can paint it! Later on we will put windows in. Wish us luck! Also:

Well, I would like to know anything I should about moving with chicks & chickens. Would someone like to help please?
    [​IMG] Will the chickens do okay? I know the babies won't care, but I don't know about the big chickens. Also, do think they should be moved in crates/boxes or be moved in a box truck in their coop? Would they do fine in their coop in the truck? Do you think? lol Sorry for all the questions, and thanks for the help!
    [​IMG]

Over all, it is just the new start we need!

2. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    it would depend on how secure the coop is... I personally would put them in boxes (with lots of holes for ventilation), or dog crates are best. They'll have less room to be tossed around.

Have fun and congrats on moving to the new place, its always kinda exciting!!

3. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    How exciting for all of you! Hope the move goes well. I only have 7 chickens and when I would need to move them it was with large pet carriers. Best wishes!

4. Daddas1Punkin

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    Well today we start packing!
    Excited, and my best friend and his family might
    buy this house!!!!!!! [​IMG]

5. Mattemma

Mattemma Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    It is all working out well.Hope you all get settled in real soon.

6. Northwind

Northwind Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2012
    Yorkshire
    Oh, that must be a very exciting move! Two bedrooms, for all of you, I can definitely understand. :p I think it's nice you want to keep that house occupied, and 103, what a grand age.

I personally would move the chickens in boxes, that worked well for us on longer trips.

7. dewey

dewey Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 9, 2010
    north of eternity
    All the best with your move and good luck at your new place!

8. Daddas1Punkin

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    THANKS EVERYONE! We are really busting our butts today, we got almost one whole room packed today! [​IMG]

9. Daddas1Punkin

Feb 9, 2012
    Ca.
    WOW! Forgot about this thread! Lol, sorry! We have gotten the kitchen and dining room painted, drywall is up, new doors in, 4 windows are in, and we (me and my mom) have taken about 8 truck loads over in the past 4 weeks! We are taking another load over in the car, and getting the truck to come back and (TRY TO) move some big stuff today! We've been very busy and now that school is out it is a lot easier to do stuff cause it's cooler in the morning! My G-ma has practically all of her stuff over there already! And the store room is feeling smaller and smaller!
    Ugh, still lots to do... I'M TIRED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

10. Whittni

Whittni Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Southern Utah
    Oh, we did what you're about to do a couple weeks ago. Buying a house sucks. It feels like you're roosted to the roosting stick and glued on. You can't buy a different one because you're buying this one or the other. Then you might have a bunch of little crowers crow their heads off and leave you stressed out about trying to get rid of them then having a hundred other chicken adds being posted while trying to get rid of your extras. GAHHHhhhhh. Anyway best of luck and I hope what happened to me doesn't for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by