Yay yay yay yay yay! Silkie's first egg today!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Frizzlett98, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    Ok so first of all, that wasn't meant to rhyme, just a happy coincidence lol.The first picture is Red Sex Link eggs and 1 white egg in the top right corner. The RSL eggs are going in the incubator Thursday and hopefully they'll hatch. They are from my 2 RSLs Dove and Phoebe. Phoebe started laying last week but not her very first time at laying eggs. Dove was laying a little over 2 weeks ago. Now about the white egg, that is my Silkie hen, Binky's first egg! [​IMG]She's five months old. I didn't expect it at all because I checked her pelvic bones a week ago and she was about half a finger's width apart. This is such a happy surprise! The 2nd picture is Binky, the third, the daddy of the eggs Leonard. And the 4th is my partridge Silkie, Tanner, also 5 months old. Her pelvic bones are just barely separated but if she's anything like Binky, she'll be laying soon. 11 hens left to go to start laying. I think I'll have a BR starting next week. Ya know what, probably a few starting next week or the week after. So excited they're finally starting to lay!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] His comb's a bit scary. Everyone says it looks like a wart [​IMG]
    [​IMG] She was an "ugly duckling" when she was 2-4 months old but now she's beautiful. Picture doesn't do her justice.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014
  2. mtngirl35

mtngirl35 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2013
    Tennessee
    Congrats to the new layers! I remember when my girls started laying. I did a happy dance right in the middle of the run. It really startled the chickens Ha Ha!

3. Frizzlett98

Frizzlett98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 22, 2014
    Southwest Virginia
    I always gasp when I see a new egg. My dog learned that when I gasp, it usually means there's something in the yard that's not supposed to be there. Like dogs, squirrels, people, etc. So when I got my very first egg, I had him in the pen with me and, of course, I gasped and he started barking like crazy. Getting him to bark is easy. It's getting him to STOP is the hard part lol.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2014

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by