Yay! Yet Another "What Are My Ducks" Thread!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by LeslieDJoyce, Dec 25, 2012.

1. LeslieDJoyce

LeslieDJoyce Overrun With Chickens

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    Photos first, then the question (not the greatest photos as it is rather drab weather here this time of year and the female really blends with the environment) ...

The Parents:

[​IMG]

Their Ducklings:

[​IMG]

These birds are supposedly production Rouen, but I am wondering if that's correct. There are very prominent neck rings on the females, with the normal thin neck band on the males. You can just see the narrow neck band beginning to show on the one duckling, while the other three have the fat "open" neck band like their mother. Also, the adult hen has given us a "Large" light green egg every day since she started laying mid-summer and I didn't think Rouen were so productive. They do fly a tiny bit ... the female was able to flap up over the fence on their enclosure back when it was between 3 & 4 feet high, but it does take effort and they can't fly far.

Are they really Rouen? Do you think we'll be able to keep the second male, or is that going to be bad for the hens?

Thank you in advance for replies! Merry Christmas!

2. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    It could just be the pictures but they don't look like pure Rouens to me.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Could there be some Swedish in that ancestry?

4. LeslieDJoyce

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I adopted them from someone who was told they are Production Rouen, but I have no idea where she got them and certainly can't vouch for their breeding. I'm very pleased with them as adorable, fertile-egg-laying friends. That's about as far as my knowledge of these ducks goes! What research I've done suggests these guys are a bit special, but as I don't know anything about other breeds of duck, I don't even know where to start guessing what else they might be. The drake looks more like the photos of other production Rouens I've seen online ... It's the neck band on the females that has me so curious! As a bonus, the neck band makes them easy to sex when they are pretty little, though it can fool you in the wrong direction. There is a reason the hen is named Rodger and the drake Trixie.

5. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    They could have come from a mixed breeding of production rouen and any other domestic, or could be from a hatchery with not so selective breeding practices in which case oddities like the neck rings on the female can pop up.

6. LeslieDJoyce

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    I've decided I'm going to go with this as my final answer. Thanks! [​IMG]

7. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    They look pretty small. I tried counting the number of rings on the chicken wire and it looks like 8-10 rings at the parents backs so if it is 1" wire they are small. (could be a very faulty assessment though [​IMG])
    I'd say either mallard or rouen mixed with something or just poor quality. Depends on size.

8. LeslieDJoyce

Jul 30, 2012
    Sherwood, OR
    My Coop
    By "poor quality" I presume you mean "not show quality?" [​IMG]

About their size ... I did see both show quality Mallards and show quality Standard Rouen in person, and these birds are larger than the Mallards but smaller than the Standard Rouen. I should weigh and measure them just for yucks.

Just thinking aloud here, I really like the attributes of this mix, which I'm figuring is a Rouen/Swedish mix. I say that because they are flightless like the Rouen, but give a lot more eggs like the Swedish (we've gotten an egg every day since she started laying this summer) -- and that fat neck band on the female. They are great free range foragers, come when called, are somewhat calm about being picked up, but are otherwise independent. They aren't overly vocal. I love not having slugs around the yard. In terms of usefulness, I can't really think of anything to improve this mix, so I'm curious about what it is and how to replicate it. For someone wanting pest-hunting backyard entertainment that provides breakfast (best pancakes EVER from the eggs), this is a great mix.

I'm going to have to decide if I want to add some variety to my duck collection ... getting some cute crested or maybe meatier birds or Runners for the vast quantity of big eggs or all of those things ... or just keep going with these awesome "mutts."

As cool as it would be to some day have (or better, to be able to breed) Standard of Perfection birds, I'm pretty sure I don't want to show any of my birds because I don't like the bio-risks of doing that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by