1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

yayayayayyayayayayayya!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jt813, Apr 19, 2012.

1. jt813

jt813 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2012
    ok so im getting ducklings tell me everything i need to know

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    Read allow the duck sticky topics at the top of the duck area first.

Then ducks and ducklings are messy... They love water.... They can't help it.... They are messy...but cute

3. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

buy Storey's Guide to Raising Ducks by Dave Holderread, read it cover to cover, front wards and backwards.

4. zooweemama

zooweemama Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm new to this too. I bought 2 duck books, stalked forums and bought supplies all before I got my ducklings. Ducks are very messy. They poop a lot. A lot. You need lots of bedding (usually straw or pine shavings). And this forum.

If it doesn't make sense - I blame autocorrect. Sent from my sweet iPhone 4s.

5. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    Ducks are happier when they have space and water.

You can feed ducklings Chick Starter. Make sure you give them plenty of Niacin as they need 3 times as much as chicks. It's water soluable and you can pick it up at walmart for about $10 a bottle (it'll last you FOREVER). Ducklings need 10 mg of niacin per day. It's best to put 500 MG into 8 gallons of water and give them that, most of it will wind up on the ground but they should be able to get the amount they need. They will not Over Does on vitamins. This is important. If they don't have the amount of niacin they need they will have poor leg development and poor brain development. They will die.

You need to change out their brooder box daily because ducks and ducklings are very messy.

The heater temp seems to depend on the breed. Most will be fine with the typical 95 degrees, drop 5 degrees a week method used for chicks.

Pekins can't tolerate such heat (from my experience) and require lower temperatures.

You can generally put your ducks outside after 5-6 weeks.

Girls QUACK. Boys RACHET. Their voices start to change around 5 weeks. This is the best way to sex them other than venting (which takes practice). Some ducks are quieter than others (Muscovy for example).

Ducks start to lay eggs around 5-6 months old.

Happy ducks are quiet ducks so if yours are making a lot of noise then something is wrong. Ducklings will make lots of noise when they're cold, hungry or thirsty.

6. jt813

Feb 9, 2012
    thanx everyone this really helped i cnt wait to get my ducklings but i still feel like i need mor advice keep it comin

7. Lute

Lute Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 25, 2012
    Socorro, NM
    What else would you like to know, specifically?

8. jt813

Feb 9, 2012
    everything i need to get started for ywo healthy ducks

9. jt813

Feb 9, 2012
    anyone else have ggod advice im desperate plase[​IMG]

10. Tahai

Tahai Chillin' With My Peeps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by