yayy! first pip!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by raymondjames, Oct 10, 2011.

1. raymondjames

raymondjames Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 18, 2011
    YAY!! one of my eggs (who we named Egg [​IMG] ) pipped today! I just noticed but there is something weird. Today is day 20 on the incubation calendar. Not 21. 20. Is this bad? Does it have a mental condition!? 1 day early seems weird to me because i thought they would hatch after (22-27 ish) but no... its early. Also how long will it be till I see a chick popping out?

2. CrestedGirl

CrestedGirl Polish Obsessed

Mar 7, 2011
    Fort Worth, Tx
    Congrats [​IMG]

3. Cherstin

Cherstin Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2009
    North Port, FL
    Congratulations! Early hatches happen often, so don't worry about that! Some people call their start day "day zero," but some will tell you to call it "day one." That, alone, is enough of a difference. Smaller eggs also more often hatch early.

It could still be another 24 hours before your chick makes it out, or it might be 20 minutes. There's no way to tell. Just keep the incubator closed to keep the humidity up! While you're waiting, read the sticky on here regarding hatching, especially the section about intervening if you feel there's a problem. The general rule of thumb is "DON'T." We all know it's not always so cut and dried though.

Best of luck!

4. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    Quote:I know right! [​IMG]

hope s/he makes it out! [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  5. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    cant insert image of pip... help? i click "Img" and drag pic onto screen but it fails [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2011
  6. raymondjames

Sep 18, 2011
    My neighbor who gave me the eggs i am hatching says the mother hen usually opens the egg after the pip. Is this true? Should I open it?

7. kerrysmommy

kerrysmommy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2010
    My house :]
    one of mine hatched a week early and its all grown up and nothing wrong fast grower/develper thats all [​IMG]

8. packmomma

packmomma Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Argos, IN
    Well I would say yours is ok..cause day 21 is Hatch day not pip day lol. If it hatches then well you can call it different [​IMG]

9. Chick1043

Chick1043 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2011
    Idaho
    YAY!! Keep updating!! xDDD

10. Barbedwirecat

Barbedwirecat Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2011
    Limestone
    I just has one of mine pip 2 days early. CONGRATS!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by