Yayyyy - my babies FINALLY discovered treats!!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by ChickLit, Apr 24, 2011.

1. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    For three weeks now, whenever I gave my 5 babies treats, they just looked at it... well, they walked through the yogurt (except one who got a little bit on her beak and yelled like she was being murdered ("get this off my beak!") LOL

They were scared of the scrambled egg, and all huddled in the corner till I took it away... [​IMG]

This morning I decided to try fine spaghetti ... again, they just looked at it. Then I picked up some in my fingers, and the two who have recently started to come over to me to get chest rubs tasted tentatively, then grabbed a noodle and ran around the pen...with everyone else in hot pursuit!! It was HYSTERICAL!! [​IMG]

Even the one who is most stand-offish took some from my hand [​IMG] I feel like we've broken a major barrier now. YAY!! [​IMG]

2. ggrap

ggrap Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 5, 2007
    Colorado
    Cool!

3. macadam8157

macadam8157 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    [​IMG] Neat, I've only given my girls freeze dried mealworms so far I am eager to try some different things as well. P.S. They go INSANE over the worms!!! [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. ChickLit

ChickLit Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    Sheridan, Oregon
    I sooooo want to get some mealworms for them, but they're awfully expensive [​IMG]

5. macadam8157

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Quote:YEAH they are!! I had to do it though! Got em the 3500 count bag for $10. Bought two of them but they love em so much. Also now that my Aunt and Mom are planting flowers alot I tend to feed them earthworms they find as well. Thats hysterical to watch them run around after who has the worm.

6. TracyLK

TracyLK Out Of The Brooder

Apr 15, 2011
    Where did you get the mealworms from?

7. macadam8157

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Quote:TSC

8. Wildflower_VA

Wildflower_VA Chillin' With My Peeps

My chicks were slow to catching on that treats were good, too. But, once you find the magical thing that they like, it is great fun after that. It's still one of the most rewarding parts of keeping chickens; to feed them treats and spend a little time with them. I just love the excited or contented sounds they make while chowing down on their treats. When I am out of treats, they even get excited about their regular feed coming from my hand, like it is more special than what I just put in their feeder.

9. MamiPollo

MamiPollo Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2011
    My Coop
    I am pretty sure we used to fish with mealworms, and they were nowhere near that expensive. Check a baitshop! You have to keep them in the refrigerator, but they are in a sealed container so they cannot escape.

10. macadam8157

Mar 31, 2011
    NC, Raleigh
    Quote:The ones we're referring to are freeze dried, thats why they are so costly. But thats a good idea to just go buy some live one for them, would def be less expensive.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by