YEA! I finally get to post on here! My first egg this weekend!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by livinggreen, Oct 1, 2007.

1. livinggreen

livinggreen In the Brooder

May 4, 2007
    Clarkston, MI
    [​IMG]

Two of my 3 RIR's started laying this weekend at 24 weeks! I went out to feed them on sat. morning and there it was, right in the nesting box where it was supposed to be. The funny thing was that all 3 of them were surrounding it looking at it and making all kinds of noise. Then the other one layed her first one that same day...we got 4 altogether this weekend and another one this morning! yippee! Ironically, the older one (26 weeks) hasn't shown any interest in laying and doesn't even have a red comb yet.

2. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrats!!! [​IMG]

Dawn

3. bassfishrman

bassfishrman In the Brooder

Mar 16, 2007
    I have 3 RIR that are the same age and 1 of them layed its first egg 3 weeks ago and has layed every day since. The other 2 haven't even thought about it yet. All of them are different.

4. MamaSue

MamaSue Hatching

Sep 20, 2007
    Congratulations!! One of my RIRs also laid her first egg this weekend. At 24 weeks. She was so noisy that morning!! but then I noticed the straw in the nesting box was kind of like in a circle -- like a crop circle! Anyway, I thought something might be going on and sure enough, when I checked about two hours later, there was an egg! Brown with some white speckles. Good size! Compares with the "extra large" I have in the refrigerator. Hopefully won't be buying from the store too much longer. I have another RIR and two Austrolorps.

5. MamaSue

MamaSue Hatching

Sep 20, 2007
    OOPS! I better start looking at the dates of these posts!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: