Yea! My coops are here!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by huckleberryfarm, Jan 19, 2010.

1. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    [​IMG]

My cute little coops have arrived. They are just waiting for me to fix them up, build a run, and most importantly, add some chickens!

Question: They are up off the ground which I like for dampness, mold, etc. We plan to build the run even with the front of both buildings and off the back sides so the back of the coops will be in the run but the front and sides will not. I know I need to block off the opening on the front and sides so varmints can't get in there. Should I leave it open in the back for shade, shelter, etc.

I'm so excited to become a chick mom!

2. AmyJ

AmyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 21, 2009
    Newburgh, NY
    Wow! They're nice coops! [​IMG]

3. Rennie

Rennie Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2009
    Derbyshire, England
    Nice .. They look like something from a wild west set [​IMG]

4. SunshineSteedFarm

SunshineSteedFarm Seramatching Equestrian

Aug 18, 2009
    Georgia
    Congrats and [​IMG]
    Beautiful coops! [​IMG]

5. PaulaJoAnne

PaulaJoAnne Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2009
    Porch Swing?!?! [​IMG] swoon!!!

As far as the skirting is concerned. Yes, predetor proof the three sides very well, and then leave the side in the run open.
    Your chickens will love having a darker cool place to retreat to when its hot out, and you will find that they will turn that area into their own dust bathing spa.

6. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    Oh my... I have coop envy now! They're beautiful!

7. MikkeyP

MikkeyP Out Of The Brooder

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    they are gorgeous!!!!! green eyed. here. teeheee....

8. chickcritty

chickcritty Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Eugene, Oregon
    Wow - those are really nice looking. I love the one with the porch! Where'd you order them from?

9. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    There's an Amish guy here in town that made them. The one with the porch is actually a playhouse but after the advice from y'all here at BYC, I had his customize it. He charge for a whopping $60 to put in two chicken doors, add extra vents on both buildings, add a screened vented window on the back of the little one, and change the roosts for me. I thought that was a steal! I can't wait to get them finished and get some chicks out there. My very first chicks are arriving in the morning (10 silkies) and I'm a nervous hen. [​IMG]

10. michickenwrangler

michickenwrangler To Finish Is To Win

Jun 8, 2008
    NE Michigan
    Awesome! Get some cheap bricks to lift it up off the ground.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by