Yea! Panda is Laying Again! Question

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by speckledhen, Jan 11, 2010.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Panda is my black barred EE hen, daughter of Zane with my blue Ameraucana, Charlotte. She's been molting horribly for a couple of months, lost tons of weight and her normally sweet, friendly personality completely changed to a screaming, crazed, skittish hen. She would literally bash herself into walls if you looked like you wanted to pick her up or pet her!

Her feathers are back, her weight is coming back (due to some special feeding) and she laid an egg today! I know its hers because she is in the coop with the BRs and my banty Cochin, Shadow. Three of my four Ameraucanas are also laying again.

My only question is when does Panda get her personality back? She's nutso! [​IMG] Anyone have a hen change so completely and never get back to her normal self after the molt?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Cynthia, I have one that changed dramatically during and after her molt, Jezebel. I've just chalked it up to her coming into full maturity and find another chicken to love on. [​IMG]

3. speckledhen

Maybe I posted too soon! Was in their coop de-pooping and Panda jumped up the roost. I talked to her like I used to do, called her Panda-bear and she let me scratch her chest! Maybe I'm getting my sweet Panda back after all!

4. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:Hmm.... sounds like me once a month....

JK Cynthia. I sure hope things calm down soon. I want all your birds to be sweet to you.

5. speckledhen

I have had many birds molt, but this girl obviously was miserable the entire time and took it out on everyone. I think she probably just felt bruised all over and not herself in any way. Things are looking up with Miss Panda, thank goodness.

6. speckledhen

Wow, this is "Return to Production" day here! Besides Panda, Dusty and Meg started back today! Dusty is one of the Blue Orps, the broody one [​IMG], and most of you know Meg, my big red RIR/Buff Orp girl.

7. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:Hooray! The molt drought is over. [​IMG]

8. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Speckledhen, how good of a layer is she, and what color are her eggs?

9. speckledhen

Panda is a fabulous layer. Her eggs are medium green, sometimes with tan speckles.

10. Kansaseq

Kansaseq Prairie Wolf Farm Asylum

Feb 12, 2009
    NE Kansas
    Cool, thanks! And she's lovely [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by