YEAAA...We have 10 moving babies!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by RightFromtheStartDoula, Apr 18, 2009.

1. RightFromtheStartDoula

RightFromtheStartDoula Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2009
    Wallkill
    We candled tonite...end of Day 6...and we have 10 out of 12 moving babies!!!....The other 2 were duds...so we opened them and sure enough they were not even fertile...My daughter was so amazed to see them moving!!...I have to admit, I was also!!...

This is getting more and more exciting everyday!!!....

Last edited: Apr 18, 2009
  2. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    [​IMG], good luck! What breed are you hatching?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009
  3. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Yeay!!! For babies! Now if only I could get my girls to go broody for me.....

4. Chicky Tocks

Chicky Tocks [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2666.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG] Ru

Oct 20, 2008
    Benton, Arkansas
    [​IMG] Yes it is so exciting! Just wait til day 19! You'll have your nose pressed so hard on the bator glass, carry a kleenex to wipe off the smudges so you can see.

When the babies start hatching, your window is going to fog up and it's going to be very frustrating not to be able to see. So now, while you're still able to open the bator for candling and turning, run out and grab a magnetic aquarium cleaner. The kind that you put on both sides of the glass and just swipe. You can find a small one at WallyWorld. Then you'll be able to swipe the glass when the chicks start hatching and fogging things up.

Congrats! And good luck for a bator full! [​IMG]

5. steffpeck

steffpeck Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Erda, UT
    Congratulations on the babies!!! It is so fun to see them moving in there. Now, to get the best possible hatch you can, leave them alone and don't candle them until day 18 when you move them out of the turner for hatching. I KNOW it is hard to resist, believe me, I have been there done that, and I have killed dozens of chicks because of it. With my last 2 hatches I have left them alone except for candling them at day 9-10 and again at day 18 and have had 85-90% hatches (on shipped eggs) where last year I was getting 5-20% hatches and I was candling them every couple of days or more, LOL. I am certain it has to do with the handling of the eggs. Good Luck and I can't wait to see pictures of your sweet babies in a couple of weeks.

Last edited: Apr 19, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by