1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yeah, another Orpington gender thread.

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by -Daisy-, Mar 24, 2016.

1. -Daisy-

-Daisy- New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm new to this chicken business. My county just changed the ordenence last year so I can finally have some. After searching around on the forum I'm starting to freak out that I have a couple of Roos. Which I can't have! These are my 5 month old (hopefully) girls. Am I deluding myself? (Ignore the state of the carpet, it is brooder cleaning day).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    The first two are looking rooish.

3. ChickenLover200

ChickenLover200 Overrun With Chickens

May 10, 2013
    I'll be in the barn!
    I agree.

4. HeatherTheMommy

HeatherTheMommy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2015
    Felton DE
    Roo, roo, pullet. Were they straight run?

5. -Daisy-

-Daisy- New Egg

Feb 23, 2016

Nope. We're sexed with a 90% chance they were right.

Dang!

6. Chicken Girl1

Chicken Girl1 Stuck back in the 40s Premium Member

Mar 3, 2015
    Virginia
    It isn't definite that they are roosters, you can be sure till they are older.

7. -Daisy-

-Daisy- New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    I'm going to cling to that ray of hope.

1 person likes this.
  8. likkatron

likkatron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    They actually all look like girls to me. If I could get better picture of the leg width that'd be great, or if you could compare their leg widths, as I know from experience boys always have much thicker legs, and at this age you should start seeing a bump where spurs are (at least my boys started developing them at that age). At about 5-6 months my girls started getting red faces, as that's when laying (for me) was coming up (they are 6 almost 7 months and regularly laying). None of them any saddle feathers, or the very long neck feathers either (which also appear at this age).
    [​IMG]
    I believe my Marian cockerel was only around 2 months old in this picture and has the same size comb as your 5 month old girls, so I wouldn't worry! I mean they don't even have waddles yet!
    Just watch for Spurs developing, saddle feathers, and lined neck feathers.

9. -Daisy-

-Daisy- New Egg

Feb 23, 2016
    Oh man, I just realized I put them at 5 months. They are 5 weeks. Doh!

10. likkatron

likkatron Out Of The Brooder

Sep 13, 2015
    That makes a difference! The first one I'm 99% sure is a boy, the second one has a slightly smaller and less red comb so 50/50 on that one, but leaning towards boy because of the color at such a young age. Last one I would say so far is 100% Pullet. Watch closely for it changing color, it shouldn't be pink or red until around 4 months when they're getting ready to lay at about 5-7.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by