Yeah, another Orpington gender thread.

-Daisy-

Hatching
Feb 23, 2016
I'm new to this chicken business. My county just changed the ordenence last year so I can finally have some. After searching around on the forum I'm starting to freak out that I have a couple of Roos. Which I can't have! These are my 5 month old (hopefully) girls. Am I deluding myself? (Ignore the state of the carpet, it is brooder cleaning day).

They actually all look like girls to me. If I could get better picture of the leg width that'd be great, or if you could compare their leg widths, as I know from experience boys always have much thicker legs, and at this age you should start seeing a bump where spurs are (at least my boys started developing them at that age). At about 5-6 months my girls started getting red faces, as that's when laying (for me) was coming up (they are 6 almost 7 months and regularly laying). None of them any saddle feathers, or the very long neck feathers either (which also appear at this age).

I believe my Marian cockerel was only around 2 months old in this picture and has the same size comb as your 5 month old girls, so I wouldn't worry! I mean they don't even have waddles yet!
Just watch for Spurs developing, saddle feathers, and lined neck feathers.

Oh man, I just realized I put them at 5 months. They are 5 weeks. Doh!

That makes a difference! The first one I'm 99% sure is a boy, the second one has a slightly smaller and less red comb so 50/50 on that one, but leaning towards boy because of the color at such a young age. Last one I would say so far is 100% Pullet. Watch closely for it changing color, it shouldn't be pink or red until around 4 months when they're getting ready to lay at about 5-7.

Back
Top Bottom