Yeah first eggs, boo not in nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by morsekathan, Jul 19, 2011.

1. morsekathan

morsekathan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Very exciting day here - I found two eggs, first and second probably or maybe from two chickens. Big problem is that they were on the ground in the hosta garden not in the nice nest boxes. Any help for getting them to lay in the nest boxes? I have four 5/6 month olds. They free range in my suburban back yard during the day, but they have a nice coop and fenced in area. They return to the coop for food and water and to sleep. The fenced area didn't work out because they like to jump off the coop roof and escape so we just leave the door open now. There are two very attractive nests boxes in the coop. I have two white chickens, one turkin and a silver laced wyandotte, so the new eggs are probably from the turkin or wyandotte.

Help please!

2. savingpurple

savingpurple Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    NW Ohio
    I put golf balls in my nest boxes. They all so far lay them in just one. Good luck though!

3. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    The golfball works really well. Once one starts to lay in the nesting box the rest should follow.

4. morsekathan

morsekathan Out Of The Brooder

May 12, 2011
    Maryland
    Today in the nest box! I put a roost in front of the boxes and cut a piece of wood in a nice arch to go over the front making the opening a little smaller and the boxes a little cozier. Seems to have worked! Only two new eggs though, so I still don't know if all four hens are laying or just two have started. Will search yard to see if Thelma and Louise are hiding their eggs somewhere.

5. train2110

train2110 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 6, 2010
    eastern New York
    Glad to hear it! [​IMG]

We had one new girl start laying on the floor of the coop. We caught her once just as the egg dropped. We took the egg and the hen and put them in a nest box that two other eggs in it. Once she saw the other eggs and the other hens using the nesting boxes she was all set.

6. Noymira

Noymira Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Chittenden County, VT
    My Black Copper Marans starting laying earlier than I thought they would, so I have no nest boxes in the pen with them, the first egg was on the floor. I put a pair of nesting boxes with a golf ball in it and 90% of the eggs end up in there. Once in a while I find one randomly on the floor, but not often anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by