Yeah... Hubby agreed to NEW coop...

Buugette

[IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]Cra
10 Years
May 26, 2009
Bucks County, PA
Okay... before I drive him nuts... I want to get input from the experts. I want to build a nice coop with real working windows. The coop I have now is nice, but very small. It was for the initial 3 bantams we had. Now we have 3 Silkies and 3 Polish... all bantams, but still too many for their current cute little coop. (Needless to say, I had to approach this very carefully with my hubby... he has already warned me that he would not be expanding the coop, let alone building a new one.)

I really like the look of this one, minus the wheels and height... not sure if it has to be as large...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=14375

Key things I want:

1. The roof can't be taller than 5'. Has to be under the 6' fence... do not want it visible. (we are flying under the radar with the approval of the township... my girls are pets and do spend time in the house)

2. Working windows for lots of light in the winter and lots of airflow in the summer. Will replace the "screen" material with hardware wire for more protection.

3. Front door and back door for girls. Front door for them to come into the yard and free range when we are home... the back door for open access to their protected run.

4. Vinyl flooring and walls... for ease of cleaning...

5. Full end doors for easy access...

6. Fully insulated for warmpth in winter

7. Wired for electricity for light in winter and perhaps extra socket for a warming bulb if needed.

For my 6 bantams... how much room do I need inside the coop? I wasn't concerned with my current one as they only slept in there and spent most of their time outside in the run or the yard. Last winter they were still babies and living in the sunroom. Hubby wants them completely outside (unless one is visiting)... I'm worried about bad weather when I have to close both doors and they can't be out. I really don't want to go too big... don't want to need a building permit for animals that I'm not really allowed to have.

Here is what our current coop looks like:

32464_img00168-20100321-1616.jpg

All thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Diana

OK just saw your post on the current chicken math thread
big_smile.png
so before you build it you have to figure at least a couple more than you have right now since you seem to be getting the same response from DH as I am right now. He will build one more coop for me but that is it so I have to come up with the number of chickens I want not just the number I have.
gig.gif
I would say plan big. I do not know how much space bantams take so I can't really suggest a size. I say if you are going to build the one that you have the link to, build it to the same size!
lau.gif

My only suggestion is to check out "Building Chicken Coops for Dummies" which is sold here in the BYC store. Maybe you can alter one of those plans to meet your extra door needs....

What I really wanted to do was tell you now much the photos you shared made me smile. Adorable coop you have right now, with some really adorable "helpers!"

....okay, after looking at the link you provided, I have returned to add more.....

I build a coop that is 4 x 8, and the front wall is 4 ft tall, while the back wall is 6 ft tall, so the roof is slanted. I built it myself. I did raise it on concrete blocks, so it's about a concrete block higher than six feet.

I altered the plans I found somewhere, because the original plan was for 4 x4 or to double it to 4 x 8 in a slightly different way, mirror image, with an interior wall between the two halves. I didn't do it that way.

I think what I'm trying to say is that 4 x 8 footprint coop plans are pretty easy to find; do check out the Dummies book!

And that would be a good size for 8 full sized chickens (if the nest boxes are popped out through the walls), so it would hold 16 bantams just fine. That would be your maximum you tell your DH.
big_smile.png

Last edited:
My girls are very much the helpers of the yard. I put a little brick patio outside their coop... (mostly for me since I hate mud)... my hubby put in a little brink walkway from our patio to their patio... (which is what you see them inspecting)...

I just love my babies... they are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO addictive. I think if more people has chickens... less people would be on anti-depressants... I sure find them calming after a stressful day.

Thanks for your thoughts....

D

BTW I agree with gryeyes, get the book. We just got ours today and I have flipped through it a little but really looking forwards to digging into it tonight!
big_smile.png

ETA - In the back of the book they have the top ten things most people would do differently if they were to build their coop over again and number one is build it bigger!

Last edited:
Oh D...
big_smile.png

I think you should make it look like a childs playhouse as much as possible, knowing your current township woes
roll.png

I like the coop, will you be able to go in it? BC by the looks of the screen/wire floor it didnt look it. also will it have outlets for heat if needed?
Can I just say your ladies are SPOILED!
lol.png

I blame you for my chicken obsession... Im afraid to see what CSNY sends home with me
hide.gif
Good thing BD isnt here to say NO!
lau.gif

Back
Top Bottom