Yeah, I know I said I hate anti-bark collars, but...

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Jan 2, 2008.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Jake the brainless wonder woke me three times last night. Jake the brainless wonder now wears a $125.00 training collar (it gives a buzz before the jolt).
    Jake the brainless wonder got one little (setting #2) jolt when he failed to respond.
    Jake the brainless wonder no bark, no more.
    [​IMG]

In all seriousness, it was a last ditch effort to keep the dog. I have a feeling he can be a really good dog, but his barking and my illness were in serious conflict. Plus the fact that even getting kicked in the head a few times by cows hadn't taught him a thing about not chasing them. The cows belong to the farmer that leases our pastureland and that lease money always comes in handy; so we didn't want the farmer to stop leasing due to Jake.
    As much as I hate the collars, I don't feel like he left us any choice.

2. silky ma

silky ma Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2007
    our wolf hybrid would howel at the moon, we stopped that wioth a bucket of water for three nites. stopped it cold!

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We already tried that with Jake. Got an extra large super soaker (toy gun) and kept in filled. I could literally drench him with it and he'd stopped barking; until I went back into the house. Then he'd start right back up again.
    Believe me when I say this collar is a last ditch effort for us. My SO is tight as can be with money, but felt this was worth the $125 if it'll work. I still feel real guilty about it though.

4. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    we've used various "shock" collars with our dogs. Some folks say they're not humane.. But from my experience the dogs learn what you want much much faster. So, give them a little jolt or yell at them 10 times. Choice is yours. Now that ours have been trained, when they act up, all we have to do is show the dogs the training collar and they straighten right back up. And they know the difference between the training collar and the go outside and play collar (under ground fence collar). We adopted our dogs from the shelter and they were already adults. Which made it much harder to get them trained. Not to mention beagles are stubborn learners anyway.

Try the other methods first, but if you're not gaining ground don't feel bad about a training shock collar, for some dogs it's the only thing that will work.

5. hencackle

hencackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2007
    Telford, TN
    What brand of collar are you using? I've been teasing DH (ok, nagging [​IMG] ) that our 9-month old puppy, Gilligan, needs an anti-bark collar.

The neighbors on both sides have dogs that bark in the middle of the night. That doesn't bother me, I can sleep through it and I know these dogs scare off varmints--except for the wild rabbits, which I swear sit by the fence and taunt the neighbor dogs. My older dog ignores it, but Gilligan will bark his fool head off and it takes me forever to get back to sleep after this. Our dogs are indoor dogs and sleep under the bed and I can't use the super-soaker without ruining the wood floor. The thought HAS crossed my mind, though. [​IMG]

DH's 2 brothers work for Radio Fence and I'm thinking I need to send Gilligan to their Research & Development Lab!

6. lacyloo

lacyloo Cooped Up

May 26, 2007
    north florida
    muzzle him

7. Dinos_rock

Dinos_rock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    Arizona
    I don't really like those collars, but in your case I think it is ok. If I was in your situation, I'd do that too. Good Luck, hopefully it will work![​IMG]

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My mom had a aussie stray that she took in when we lived down south. It would bark it's self to death. I hated it because I lived next door and my bedroom was on that side of the house. Well I had a blue crown conure that I had hung his cage outside in a tree by the garage. Well one day I'm outside and Lucky starts barking and what does Pongalo start saying? Shut Up Stupid Dog!!!! I laughed till I cried. I guess he heard my mom yelling at the dog to shut up and he pick it up. I've used a shock collar on my GS and it only took a week to get to her quit barking after that all I had to do was show her the collar and she'd stop.

9. FutureChickenMan

FutureChickenMan Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2007
    The anti-bark collar we have is made by petsafe I think.. It's just a $35 collar I got at walmart. It's green and says guardian on it if that helps. I put the collar on one of the dogs last night at midnight after she already went out to bark twice. The third time she went out with the collar she got half a howl out (you know the beagle howl) and that was it. She got a little zip from the collar. She came right back in the house, curled up on her bed and went to sleep. People think when they hear "schock" that it's really zapping the dog. It's really not that significant of an event. It's like when you were a kid and you shocked your brother/sister by rubbing your socks on the carpet then touching them. Plus a dogs skin is not as sensitive as ours is.

If you're gonna get a "remote trainer" / "e-trainer" make sure to get a good one and one that has adjustible sensitivity settings. Ours is an Innotek I don't remember which model, but it was about $130.

Here are demonstrations of dogs that were trained with remote trainers / e-trainer.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=sit+means+sit

10. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    If you don't want to shock, try a cintronella collar. It sprays a small amount of citronella instead of a giving a shock. My friend successfully trained her rescue dog with one, but it doesn't work with some dogs. You just have to see how your dog reacts.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by