Yeah Me!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by stethomps, Sep 12, 2009.

1. stethomps

stethomps Chicken Hugger

Apr 19, 2008
    Franklin, IN
    I just had my first Serama Hatch of the summer. I have set Serama Eggs 2 other times this summer with a big Zero % Hatch rate, so needless to say I am excited! Another one piping as a type. So I should have atleast 2 out of the six set on the 21st, & I have 7 more that was set on the 27th.

On a side note: Seramas are so very difficult for me to hacth. & I know my bator was ok because I have set them with OEG and I have had a lucky 100% hatch rate with the OEG. None the less, I am prepaired for next Summer, I have 2 silkie's & 2 cochin hens started to be my bator's next year!

Yeah!

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I've heard that seramas need higher temps and humidity, so maybe that was your problem? I've only hatched seramas once, 2 of 2 hatched. But they were the only things that hatched out of that setting, so apparently my temps were too high for the others. Congrats on the babies!!

3. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    CONGRATS!!!!!!!!
    I'm still waiting for mine to hatch (serema's too) today is the 23 day...[​IMG]

4. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I've found with serama the less you handle/juggle them till the 18th day the better hatch you have, my first 4 or 5 hatches of serama where 0 to 1-2,(the hen hatched them just fine so I knew they where fertile) until I just left them alone till I stopped the turner, Now I get 85% or more with class A-B

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  5. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    I have six seramas in the 'bator now, due on the 21st. They look good now. Temp is 99.5 and humidity is 50%... do I need to adjust? Sorry to hijack your thread; just want to make sure I do everything I can to hatch these little guys/girls.

~CHerlyn

6. stethomps

stethomps Chicken Hugger

Apr 19, 2008
    Franklin, IN
    I kept my temp between 100.5 & 101 at the top of the Eggs with 50% humidity then increased between 65 & 80 on Day 17. But again out of 25 (or so) Serama eggs in the bator this summer, I only have hatched 1 with a PIP so far. My fingers are crossed; I still have 7 scheduled to hatch next week. Good Luck!

7. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    I do 100 to 100.5, and serama hatch better in the fall, winter and early spring. 2 of my successes

[​IMG]
    class A

8. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    Gorgeous!!

9. darbella

darbella Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 2, 2008
    New Hampshire
    I seem to allways have to help my serama chicks out, even with raising the humidiry. I also seem to have a 50% hatch rate and see that a lot of people claim the same. I guess they are not the best hatchers in the chick world! My friend had a broody and set them under her and they hatch all out! I am just afraid my broody would break the eggs they are so small!

10. stethomps

stethomps Chicken Hugger

Apr 19, 2008
    Franklin, IN
    Quote:Thats a good fear...I had my 13 eggs under my OEG, and she broke 3 of them (well broke 1 and cracked 2), so I moved them to my bator on day 11 for the first 6 I set. All I can say is I cant wait until next Spring with the silkies to brood em.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by