Yeah! Our first egg w/pic...& added pic of hen

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Jasmine1998, Jul 30, 2010.

1. Jasmine1998

Jasmine1998 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    We got our first egg today. We have a couple different breeds so we were wondering who whould go first. It was our barred rock hen named Frack (yes, there is another BR named Frick). I could hear the hens making quite a comotion this morning from inside of the house. When I went to check on them they all came running up & then Frack jumped into a nesting box & started to squat. I left her alone for about an hour & when I came back I found this:

[​IMG]

It is slightly smaller than the eggs you would get from the grocery store but not bad for her first try!

She is on the bottom right of this pic. The pic is from last week.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 31, 2010
  2. Jasmine1998

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Forgot to mention that she is 17 1/2 weeks old.

3. Hamptons06

Hamptons06 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2009
    North Atlanta
    Woohhooo!!! Beautiful egg!! Mine are 20w... waiting for the first egg!

4. OrloffTom

OrloffTom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2010
    NC
    Looks like she did well! The egg looks good and has a good shape and color too [​IMG].

5. fldiver97

fldiver97 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2009
    Middleton, WI
    [​IMG] congrats!!!

6. bambi

bambi Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Mo.
    [​IMG][​IMG] YEA!!!!!! I'm still waiting I think I have non-laying hens:lau

7. chuckzoo

chuckzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2009
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    Wow! she did well and quite young to lay too. I had two BR hens and mine laid later than that, about 20 -25 weeks. Your egg looks just like my Daisy's eggs and they really haven't got any bigger. On the other hand Sally went through a minnie molt and stopped laying for a few months and her eggs were bigger after that, although they are more of a cream color.

8. Jasmine1998

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    Thanks! She did not lay one today but we are still waiting. I will have to check under the deck later today for eggs. We have a raised deck enclosed by lattice that they hang out under during the day if they are not locked in their coop.

Her sister should not be far behind, as they are both acting the same way - going around squatting & acting real interested in the nesting boxes & real red in the face. We do have 1 BO that is acting that way as well, but the rest of them are no where near ready to lay yet.

9. Jasmine1998

Mar 14, 2010
    Montgomery County
    We got another egg today. I was worried since they are out free ranging that she would just have it ouside somewhere so I decided to check on her & that is when my husband told me that he saw her running back to the coop about 5 minutes ago & she has been in there making a lot of noise. So, we gave her some privacy & she had another one for us in her nest box.

10. undergroundchickens

undergroundchickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Utah
    That is so cool! I am still waiting for my Barred Rocks to lay and they are almost 21 weeks. Isn't that first egg just so much fun?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by