1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Yeah, she's that BAD!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by gritsar, Jun 14, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I had a salmon faverolles in isolation for a wound to her side. Her name is Doe and she's a hatchaholic. Three sets of chicks from her before she was even a year old. [​IMG]

Yesterday evening Doe wanted to go back to her flock, so I let her. This evening I'm doing my chicken chores and Doe is following me around. I'm collecting eggs, but in a shallow basket instead of my regular basket because the regular basket is full and I'm too lazy to do anything about it.

I collect all the eggs, 13 in all, with Doe watching my every move. I set the basket down while I tended the water and in Doe went, right on top of the eggs. Puffed up and start doing the whole "I'm gonna hatch me some chicks!" noises.

Beware Sourland's broody magic y'all. It can be downright scary. [​IMG]

2. benjoycei

benjoycei Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2011
    Wilmington
    [​IMG]

3. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    [​IMG] Amazing- the Broody Gypsy Hen Magic!

4. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Well Doe is back in isolation. Gonna be a fun time keeping her from getting any ideas. [​IMG]

5. theoldchick

theoldchick The Chicken Whisperer

May 11, 2010
    [​IMG]

6. BrattishTaz

BrattishTaz Roo Magnet

Jan 8, 2011
    Tampa Area, Florida
    [​IMG]

7. uncle rico

uncle rico Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Spring Green, WI
    [​IMG] [​IMG] looks like you have a real broody there

8. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Are you sayin' you got 13 more naked necks on the way?

Impy

9. gritsar

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:I'm saying that Doe won't get to see a pile of eggs again as long as she lives. Unfortunately she does have one hidden on the porch (where she's isolated) somewhere and I'll be doggone if I can find it. [​IMG]

10. ScaredOfShadows

ScaredOfShadows Chillin' With My Peeps

awwwwwwww why wont you let her sit on eggs?? [​IMG] poor Doe [​IMG] but lol I do understand - I have a silkie who has babies hatching out tonight - her 3rd set this year. she set 2 batches last year as well. Shes a mama machine.

Got another that for the life of me I can't break and shes a d'uccle. I have tried EVERYTHING - i think shes through and over it (a few days with butt dunked in cool water every day and a butt draft cage [​IMG] ) and low and behold within 48 hrs shes back in her "secret" but obvious not so secret as I've pulled her off 3 times now - spot under the shed. *sigh* so shes been doing this for TWO MONTHS - AFTER setting on eggs for 3 weeks - but none hatched...SO since Snowball the silkie had 7 eggs I popped 2 of the ones that were pipping under her tonight so HOPEFULLY she'll get to raise her first babies *Sigh* lol crazy crazy broody chickens

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by