Yeah, the new girl has a question already,,,HI ALL!!!

skyfires

Trying to hide
11 Years
Jul 19, 2008
The Ozarks of Arkansas
I hope this is in the right forum. If not, please let me know. I have been reading posts for a few days now, I just love this site. In fact, this is my first post ever!!
Anyway, this has to do with my new EE's. You see, all my other chicks are a month older than they are, and I'm having a problem introducing them to the flock. Everyone seems to want to pick on the new chicks. I have them in a little 'play pen', but when I let them in with my other chicks, the fight is on!! The older chicks and pretty rough on them. How can I make the introduction a little easier on the new babies?? They have a large run and hen house. Space isn't a issue,,Thanks!!!
The chicks are 4 months old, and 3 months, so they are close in size,,,,
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
D.gif
:he

I just introduced mine to another younger chick. I kept her in a little tub right inside the coop. It had a cover on it with chicken wire so she had plenty of air flow. Then during the day i put her out in the run in a wire dog crate. That way the other chickens could see her and get to know her but couldn't get to her. I did this for about a week. Then i started letting her out in the run only with me out there. Then i let her stay out all day and then finally i let her go right into the coop with them. They accepted her nicely. I went in one night and they were all roosting and seemed to be moving over slowly so she would have space on the roost too. Very cute.

It takes time.

If they are close in size let them establish order amongst themselves, you may want to have a temporary divider between them so they see each other prior to actually being able to get to each other so it wont be such a shock when NEW chicks are introduced.

Thank you all for your quick answers,,,they are all about the same size, so I will try the chicken playpen approach. I'll give them a week or so just seeing each other, then slowly letting them run together while I'm around. Again, Thank you for your quick responses. Wish us luck,,,,
big_smile.png
big_smile.png
: weee
ya.gif
yippiechickie.gif

Back
Top Bottom