Yeah!!!! We got our first egg! Now what?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by chicken_angler, Aug 8, 2008.

1. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Ok this morning I went out and the first egg of many was out in front of the nest boxes. It has a little flake of poo on it but should we wash it or leave it? Also do we refrigerate it or leave it out? Thanks Chickenman8

2. averytds

averytds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    KS
    I think that depends on you. I used to wash, then found out here that I didn't have to and was washing the bloom off anyway. Now I just pick off any shavings or feathers. They are pretty clean from the nest. Haven't had poo on one yet.

I keep mine in the fridge, but I only get a couple a day at this point, so there's plenty of room. A lot of people here just leave them out. I think in many other countries they also leave them out. Grocery stores used to leave them out until it was mandated they refridgerate.

I think it's like SunnyD or margarine. Some stores refridgerate it and some don't.

HTH

3. chicken_angler

chicken_angler Coop Constructist

Jun 23, 2008
    a house
    Thanks!

4. injunjoe

injunjoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Pasco county, FL.
    Congrats on your first! [​IMG]
    I am waiting for my 16 week old to start.[​IMG]

5. ears73

ears73 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 30, 2008
    Westchester, NY
    Quote:lol, who would have thought fresh-from-the-farm backyard chicken eggs would be compared to sunny D & margarine?? This board is great.

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    You can take a very lightly damp paper towel or wash cloth and just spot clean them if it bothers you...but you're best not to wash them because of the coating the hen puts on them that helps preserve the eggs and keep them fresher. Sometimes the poo will come off with just a dry cloth, too.

Congrats on your first egg!! I'm still waiting...and waiting....and waiting....and [​IMG]

7. Toast n Jelly

Toast n Jelly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2007
    St.Charles, QC
    I use a scrubby pad to take off *organic matter* [​IMG]

Since you won't be keeping the egg for months on end ....I wouldn't worry about the bloom. I've done the same to hatching eggs and they were fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by