1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Year later still a newbie!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by honeynajar, Aug 1, 2013.

1. honeynajar

honeynajar Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2011
    I've got a mixed flock and some of the 1 year old hens are having an issue with the feathers on their back. Ref 2 pics. I realize this has prob been addressed but I've looked at the pics and can't decide. I've examined them with a magnifying glass and can't find any mites or lice or creepy crawlies. Their butts are just fine. The white one started it losing the feathers at the top of her wings but I thought it was from my rambunctious roo. I got her a saddle which the lil minx has gotten out of every time I've put it on her and now she's skittish from me. :-( So any help would be delightful - is this molt? Some of the others have a bald spot on the front of their neck like they've been doing acrobats on the perch. The 4 mo old crew are not affected whatsoever and neither is the roos or cochins. TIA!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

Looks like rooster wear and tear to me. Saddles or separate your roosters out so their feathers can regrow. Give nice high protein snacks or make sure you are not feeding too much scratch so they can regrow their feathers quickly.

3. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    THANKS! That's what I thought from the get-go but then got worried about parasites. They all free range ... so I'm not sure how to separate them other than keeping Bob in a crate and he's their protection - I've seen him in action. I'll keep trying the saddle.

4. ChickensAreSweet

Yeah if they need their rooster then what can you do.

Another thing that may help is to get a few more hens...have a 1:8 or 1:10 ratio for rooster to hens. Make sure you quarantine if you get new ones though and buy from a respected source!!

5. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Yes they do indeed need him, but the peeps we got in Apri (11)l... we have decided 3 of them may be roos as well. My problem is I'm attached to them all now. So that will make a total of 4 large roos when they grow up and 1 cochin roo. There hasn't been any aggression as of yet they all seem to get along. So that leaves 15 hens, plus 2 cochin hens counting all the hens. Which isn't enough. gaaaaahhhh. what to do .... what to do.....

6. ChickensAreSweet

You can make a rooster pen and keep all of their precious hearts! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  7. honeynajar

May 19, 2011
    Wouldn't they turn aggressive? Especially if they weren't getting "any"? I put the saddle on one last night. It was off this am.... Gonna try a different one tonight. Thanks!

8. ChickensAreSweet

I have never had a rooster pen but supposedly they get along better since there are no women to fight over (this is what I have read on BYC). Of course the games that are aggressive towards other males would be an exception.

One breeder I corresponded with said that she pulls the cockerels out when they start chasing the pullets and puts them in a rooster pen until they grow up and she wants to breed some chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by