Year of the rooster or what???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Chickenaddict, Dec 3, 2008.

1. Chickenaddict

Chickenaddict Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    I had ordered chicks from deal about 6 weeks ago, here is what i ordered....

4 ameraucana bantams
    2 red frizzled cochin bantams
    4 blue laced red wyandotte bantams
    2 silver laced cochin bantams
    2 blue d'anvers
    much to my surprise they sent 9 barred rock packing peanuts (roos) on top of the order

Heres my dillema
    out of the ameraucanas one didn't make it which left me with one pullet and 2 roos
    both frizzles are roos
    both d'anvers are roos
    one BLRW roo and one pullet the other 2 didn't survive shipping
    one silver laced didn't make it so that left me with one roo
    To top it off i hatched seramas a week before i got these chicks and out of those serama babies 6 are roos!!!! 5 are pullets

Boy how lucky can one person get [​IMG]

Anyone looking for a few good roos??? lol

I think if i was to order chicks again i may have to pay extra for pullets only that way theres only a slim chance of gaining any roos rather than being over run with them. Ya can't give roosters away here lately which means i wasted ALOT of money buying and raising chicks. As if this year didn't already stink!!! I'm just a tad bitter!
    Anyone else having bad luck like this?

ETA: i know you take a chance on ordering straight run chicks but to get that many roosters is just wrong. Don't get me wrong I love my roosters but in moderation [​IMG] . The barred rock cockrels went on to a new home where they are going to be used as pets in a mobile petting zoo then they go on to live their lives on a nice farm free ranging (i really lucked out on that deal)

Last edited: Dec 3, 2008
  2. chickenchickenbulkbulk

chickenchickenbulkbulk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2008
    OHIO
    The roos have out numbered the hens out of every batch we have hatched. Maybe it is the year of the roo. We are going to use the roo's to fill the freezer or sell them. Sorry to hear about all of the ones dying..that is a shame. I always order just hens. I have never got a roo when I do that. To me it is worth the extra money. DeeJay

3. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    The idea of filling the freezer is really appealing however these are bantams so there wouldn't be much meat on them bones lol. The hard part is going to be finding these guys good new homes and just cut my losses. I will definately be ordering sexed pullets from now on. Now to find a hatchery that sells sexed bantams lol.

4. Cason

Cason Chillin' With My Peeps

I tried to order sexed bantams once.. they told me (can't remember the hatchery now) they charged FIVE BUCKS per banty to sex them!

5. Chickenaddict

May 19, 2008
    East Bethel MN
    Good lord!!!!!! thats insane!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by