1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Year of the Rooster?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by minor_danger, Mar 25, 2011.

1. minor_danger

minor_danger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Today after school (since I was in the area) I went to my local feed store. I was looking forward to this all week because I wanted to JUST LOOK at the chicks. Well I get inside and there are...NONE. I ask the lady what gives, I mean, where are all the babies? She told me that all the hatcheries are sending chickens (I'm assuming eggs) to China because "it is the year of the chicken" (rooster). They get their chicks from Ideal. Has anyone else heard this? She said they might get some in a week or two. I live in FL and this place gets chicks almost year round so I'm really surprised.

2. austinandkara

austinandkara Out Of The Brooder

One would think that China would get chickens from their own hatcheries. I have not heard that. Ideal is in Texas and there would have to be hatcheries that are closer to China. Maybe the feed store lady was just yanking your chain [​IMG]

3. ralleia

ralleia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2011
    Omaha, NE
    I think she's extremely misinformed, or she's messing with you.

This is the Chinese year of the RABBIT.

Next year is the year of the DRAGON.

It won't be the year of the rooster again until 2017.

4. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    This is the year of the Rabbit.. and my feed store just get thier first delivery of chick from Ideal the other day... she is pullin your chain

5. minor_danger

minor_danger Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2011
    Strange. What gets me is that they had chicks in before. I know because I bought 6. Why lie? It seems so silly now. But they also tried to tell me I was buying silkies when I got assorted bantams.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by