Year old chickens not laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by JennMahoney, Apr 2, 2015.

1. JennMahoney

JennMahoney Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2015
    Farmington Pa
    Hello! I'm new to this site, I have 3 one year old chickens... I can't remember their breed right now, but they haven't started laying.
    Can anyone tell me possible reasons why they may not be laying?

[​IMG]

2. 6LittleHens

6LittleHens Out Of The Brooder

Jun 21, 2014
    Do you think there is a possibility that your hens are eating their eggs? You can look and see if there are any dried and splattered egg yolks in their egg box.

3. JennMahoney

Apr 2, 2015
    Farmington Pa

It doesn't seem like that is the case... I've checked around to see if maybe they had worms, but they have normal poo.. They get fed regularly, always have clean water, seem to be very healthy happy chickens.

4. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    They were born last spring? They were likely coming into egg laying age right as the days started getting shorter. Give them a few weeks and I'll bet you get your eggs.

5. JennMahoney

Apr 2, 2015
    Farmington Pa
    @Rowsdower Yep, they are just about a year old, their feathers had just started changing from baby fluff when we got them!

6. Rowsdower

Rowsdower Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2012
    I'm in Ohio and some of the girls that I hatched last Spring just started laying a couple of weeks ago. With the longer days, you should see them pick up.

7. JennMahoney

Apr 2, 2015
    Farmington Pa
    @Rowsdower I'm in Pennsylvania so maybe I'm just behind [​IMG] I'll keep watching! Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by